Wednesday 9 July 2008

Jumping back

I've heard it said, and been told that the Jump back is not so important and not something to get hung up on, that it will come with time etc etc. And I agree with this. I know and accept that it's just one aspect of the practice and there are many ways/variations of the jump back that allow you to string the asana together. And I'm aware that Nancy Gilgoff, supposedly, never employed the jump back.

BUT

I like the the jump back!

I want to jump back!

I WILL jump back!



I like how it links the asana. I like how the asana flow together when you can jump back out of one asana and jump through into the next. Ashtanga is a flowing practice so what's wrong with focusing on the flowing aspect.



We shouldn't have to defend our keenness to master it.



That said, there have been times when I've stopped my practice midway through my practice frustrated at not being able to lift up and this is where the "don't get hung up on it" comments are important



I've found that the best way to go about it is find a comfortable jump back variation that fits within your practice and then start developing your jump back outside your practice.



So here are two videos the first is how I'm currently approaching my jump back in my daily practice.






The second video is of Lolasana. When I get home from work I spend a little time (10-30 mins)working on developing my Jump back(at the moment improving my lolasana), some handstand and/or jump to standing practice and just recently some experiments on working towards the drop back.






UPDATE 3 years later (8th july 2011 )

Over the last few years I've been adding my Jump backs to a progress post here's the link,
Jump back's past to present

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.