Saturday 10 April 2010

Vinyasa Krama Bow sequence Speeded up x 4 plus Kapo/dropbacks

Bow sequence is one of the shorter Sequences in Ramaswami's Complete book of Vinyasa Yoga, Here it is speeded up. No doubt I've moved away from the book a couple of times, I'll go through it later and list any variations.
Sometimes I'll add the Vajrasana sequence at the back of the book to Bow as it includes Ustrasana, Lagu Vajrasana and Kapotasana but here I've just gone straight in to them. I've finished it off with drop backs.
In my practice yesterday evening I then moved on to the Seated sequence with it's forward bends. It's a short sequence too and they seem to complement each other.

As with any of my video's, if you think you might find something useful, feel free to download it from Youtube using Realplayer etc. These speeded up sequences can usually be slowed back down again if your trying to learn a sequences. I'm still working them out myself though and sometimes part company with Ramaswami's book so it's worth getting.

PRANAYAMA IN MY SLEEP

So after all those backbends, and that Ganda B felt pretty deep, I knew I was going to have a restless night, must have woken up every hour. Sometime in the night I ended up having a nightmare.
Now when I was about six, I was in Boots the chemist with my Mother, and a wasp flew into my ear. I panicked tried to get it out and it stung me a bunch of times. I've had a bit of a phobia about wasps ever since. Anyway I tend to sleep with earplugs, it's noisy here, you can hear the traffic on the video. Last night I dreamt a wasp flew into my ear. It was very realistic, perhaps because I could feel the earplugs. I was just about to panic, and try and get it out but remembered that it would just sting the hell out of me. Without thinking I started to do Pranayama, getting really into it, retention and everything. All the time the Wasp was moving about in my ear. One moment it seemed it was about to come about but then it would go in deeper again, I could even feel the tiny hairs on it's back and it's hot legs. Eventually the thing crawled out and flew away and I woke. up.

Of course if this happened while I was awake I'm sure I would run shouting and screaming up and down the street sticking sticks in my ear to try and get the bugger out. No doubt some may think this is some deep memory stuck down in my spine somewhere released by the deep Ganda B. but I tend to remember that time as kid every time I see a wasp so I'm not sure I buy it.

On another note. I did primary this morning. Straight leg jump through all the way through. Still clumsy with heavy landing but getting through every time.

9 comments:

Dana said...

just checked in after missing you for a while (your blog takes a long time to load for some reason and i am impatient with computers). Thanks for listing your weekly sequence. As a home practicioner, I have a good 'routine' but have wanted to do different areas of focus on different days, as you have here. Thanks.

Grimmly said...

Hey Dana, nice to see your name pop up here again. Yes, sorry about the loading time, lots of video's lately, think that's why it takes a while to load. reduced the number of posts on the home page to five so perhaps a little better.
I quite like this area of focus thing, actually I think I like spending a week on something best of all. A week on back bends a week on hip openers, week on inversions etc. I was doing that last month and really enjoyed it. Wish there was somebody more accomplished and graceful doing these Vinyasa Krama videos, I'm, too clumsy and absent minded but nobody else seems to be posting, at least it gives a bit of an over view of the routine. Do you have Ramaswami's book? It takes a bit of work getting used to the routines but this grouping postures into type is interesting. i find now that when i practice a posture I start to to see ten variations or preparations and extensions. Think it's been worth the work.
Did you see I'm, off to LA in the Summer to do the Vinyasa Krama 200 Hr TT course, looking forward to that, not so much to teach myself , as to get more of a handle on the system.

olddude said...

Hi Grimmly,
I'm in need of a recommendation for a resource for an exploration of Heidegger. I respect your thought process so I thought you might save me some thrashing around and perhaps have a favourite source that captures his essense.

Grimmly said...

That came out of left field olddude, a reminder that I need to get back to my day job.

Sources, Primary always best of course 'Being and Time' can be difficult to approach, I'd recommend 'A history of the Concept of Time' for his early stuff. Supposedly it captures more of his lecturing style. Absolutely devastating deconstruction of Descartes and dualism in there. Totally convincing and yet try to get through the rest of the day without falling back into it. Of his later writing the extended essay 'Origin of a work of Art is my all time favourite but 'On technology' and the 'Age of the World picture' are excellent too you can find them in 'Basic Writings which also included the intro to Being and Time. Pathmarks is a good collection to with the difficult but important Intro to Metaphysics.

Of course if you've read any Modern European thought, Philosophy, Sociology, Lit Crit, Theology, Psychology, Anthropology etc then you probably already know a lot of Heidegger without realizing it, Heideggarians one and all if you cut them deep enough.

Overviews,
Blattner' Being and time reader is very good
Wrathall's How to read Heidegger is much better than the title suggests
Inwood's Heidegger in the excellent Oxford A very Short introduction series is good too.

Dreyfus's courses on Heidegger at Berkely are available on podcast. try to get the most recent, he changes his mind about things every year. look for both the Being and Time course and the Later Heidegger course. I spent a great week walking all over Paris listening to those lectures.

Hope that helps

My own master plan at the moment is to bury myself in Sankara's commentary on Patanjali etc for a year and then pick up my Heidegger again and see how they react to each other. Oh, there's a book on Sankara and Heidegger by Grimes which is interesting.

olddude said...

Thanks Grimmly.Sorry about the dayjob reality check.Sneaking up from behind on our previous knowledge platforms is like meeting old friends.

Jiri said...

What a cool dream! Congrats to that! I'd be mightily pleased if I had a similar one ;)

After all, is there a better sign of progress than realising that some of our old vexing habits don't bother us anymore? I don't think so.

Claudia said...

Been thinking about the dream... how fascinating!

Dana said...

i don't have rangaswamy, but it seems that i would like it. one week on an area of focus is very iyengar, and it's how i've been practicing.

and yes, the loading is 'quicker' since the reduction of per page posts. But really, in these 'modern times', it's shocking what we think is 'slow'. shame on me.

Grimmly said...

Yes, strange dream, don't think I'd be so relaxed if it happened awake.

no GA Dana, Srivatsa Ramaswami not Rangaswami. Sharath's surname is Rangaswami.
Didn't know Iyengar would spend a week on one area of the body, i like the idea.

Perhaps i should make it load more slowly again, allow for reflection and meditation.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.