Friday 30 November 2012

1980's Desikachar Interview.

I was sent a link to a YouTube video in a comment last week, an interview with TKV Desikachar at KYM. Turns out it comes originally from Paul Harvey who had this to say about it on fb this morning

"Whilst living in Chennai through 1980 I recorded a video of an Indian TV programme about the work of the KYM in the field of Yoga and Health. Recently I had the video cassette digitalised and shared it as an online downloadable with students.
http://www.yogastudies.org/2012/11/on-yoga-and-health-in-the-kym-with-tkv-desikachar/
From here it has made its way onto YouTube and open source viewing".

I'm a little irritated by this, Paul shares so much with the Yoga community thorough the dharma Downloads section of his his website Centre for yoga Studies, strikes me as a bit off for somebody to post something like this without asking. If Paul hasn't gone ahead and posted it on his site already then it's a fair bet he had his reasons.

But then it's tricky deciding what is and isn't OK to post. I've been sent things here and had to sit on them while I try and trace a source to ask permission. Nancy's original Ashtanga syllabus was a case in point. I was sent the syllabus, told it was OK to post it but then had to wait a couple of weeks before I heard back from Nancy to double check it was OK, all excited and dying to tell somebody about it. Salutations to the teacher and the Eternal one is another, I was sent a copy after asking about it here, the person who sent it to me mentioned that they had been asked only to share it with people who asked directly. I'd asked indirectly but they made an exception. Meanwhile I'd been searching out other sources for the document and was eventually sent another copy. I'd asked if there were any conditions on posting but none had been given and so I went ahead. Now Salutations turns up as AG Mohan's release Yoga Makaranda (part II).

But then what about pictures? I try to give sources a lot of the time, links to where I found them, paintings and drawings I try to trace the artist. This worked out nicely when I found that drawing of Hanuman a while back. On tracing it I was taken to Tara books who ended up sending me a copy of the book from which the picture was taken to review.

And yet I know I haven't added links to every picture I've posted and then what of detailed workshop notes that get passed around, quotes from teachers. Then on facebook the pictures and videos we pass amongst friends that are now available to google....

--------------------------

But anyway on to the Desikachar video.

I really don't know that much about Desikachar's work and feel a little guilty about that, he being the son of Krishnamacharya. I feel I should know more but for so long I kind of dismissed Desikachar, KYM, Viniyoga as just being about therapy and I had/have little or no interest at all in yoga therapy, apart from the obvious general health and well being.

I've made up for it a little recently, TKV Desikachar's Religiousness in Yoga is an excellent introduction.

TKV Desikachar on Yoga and Health
An interview held at KYM in happier times
Questions intespersed with some asana demonstrations


If you go to this link to Paul's site you can download it.
http://www.yogastudies.org/2012/11/on-yoga-and-health-in-the-kym-with-tkv-desikachar/


Highlights

Opens with an introduction to TKV Desikachar

0.54 Desikachar doing prostrations to Krishnamacharya

4.28 One of my favourite chants, Atma suddhi mantras (self-purification mantras) we made a real hash of this on Ramaswami course, getting all tangled up but coming back strong for the chorus each time.

7.50 Questions: "How does yoga differ from sports/exercise?"

13.10 demo ( can't read whey this ones being called)

13.57 Urdhva dhanurasana

16:40 "Do you believe foreigners can become as adapt at yoga as Indians?"

17:44 Demonstration, headstand , ardha matsyendrasana

19:20 "Can the practice of Yoga help a woman conceive?"

20:16 "Do you believe in certain circumstances yoga can be detrimental to health?"

23.00 Chanting of first few Yoga Sutras

23:38 "Does language impose an extra burden (chanting)?"

24:00 "What kind of (health) problems do you encounter?"

27:50 "Do you consider them to be diseases  of civilisation?"

30:45 "Is there any age limit to start an exercise?"

31:32 Kids demo

32: 30 Older gentleman's demo of pascimottanasana

35:50 Is there a time factor involved, should we only do yoga in the morning?"

37:37 More demo's

40:40 "Can we practice it as a group or only as individuals?"

42.00 More Chanting from kids

45: 40 Demo



from Paul's Dharma downloads, my favourite chant mentioned above and near the beginning of the video and it's explanation.

Atma Suddhi mantras (self-purification mantras) from taittirya upanishat


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.