Friday 11 October 2013

Ashtanga Vinyasa and Age : Yoga for the Three Stages of Life

Beatrice Addressing Dante (by William Blake) - Beatrice ( Dante's beloved) as guide in Dante's Paradiso.
In his excellent first book Ramaswami presents the three different stages of life when different approaches to yoga may be considered appropriate.

Srivatsa Ramaswami Yoga for the Three Stages of Life Amazon
Amazon

Notice that in youth a focus on asana is considered appropriate. Worth bearing in mind perhaps whenever your tempted to claim that practicing asana is NOT yoga. And, if you become criticised for not exploring pranayama or meditation or dipping into yoga philosophy but rather just focusing on your asana practice then you are in fact following the program, so just smile politely.

Mid-life we may want to reign the asana practice in somewhat, throw in some pranayama, an overall practice that preserves our health and well being. We know this of course, advanced asana practice five days a week (Primary on Fridays) is likely to take it's toll on our bodies, little injuries can come up with more regularity, makes sense to reign it in a little. Of course fifty is the new forty, when does 'mid-life' begin. Also, what constitutes Advanced asana? If you've been practising asana for some time your body may well have opened up and developed a degree of flexibility such that what many may consider an advanced posture is merely, for you, a natural progression of a more basic asana. And as we all no doubt out realise sooner or later, all asana are advanced asana, it just depends on what we bring to the posture and it's vinyasa, whether we bring out it's innate advancenessness. Manju mentioned ( one of his world-shattering throw away lines) that all asana are mudras ( or may be considered so if approached that way).

But here's the thing, youth can apply to age but perhaps also to our stage upon our yoga path ( Jois uses the Yoga as Path metaphor, so I'm not being unnecessarily cheesy here ), when we first begin to explore Yoga then we may be considered to be youthful in regards to the practice, young in the practice as it were and so a strong asana focus may well still be appropriate. The practice of asana can form discipline, focus, attention, preliminaries perhaps for the other stages of the 'yogic life'.

That first stage can go on a long time too, from childhood to mid-life, you get to focus on asana and just asana ( actually including breathing practices) for thirty odd years perhaps before your 'required' to worry about anything else. Of course you can still dip into some good books, the shastras, explore some pranayama and some meditative practices, nothing wrong with that, in fact it may well inform your asana practice somewhat, deepen it, but your not necessarily obliged to go there (but then why wouldn't you). Focusing on your asana only, on 'just asana' is considered appropriate, it is yoga.

For me personally at fifty with many years of hard travel and labour behind me ( those odd, physically demanding, jobs  picked up while travelling and later working my way through Uni, building walls, roads, houses etc.) my body carries a lot of old nagging injuries, makes sense to reign my practice in a little. I'm more than happy with my Ashtanga Primary and 2nd series with the odd Advanced posture thrown in for seasoning (Manju's approach). Besides, less feels more.

And I relish pranayama and what a joy to look ahead to decades (with luck) of study, reflection and contemplation, the more mediative practices to accompany my beloved asana practice....

And yet, perhaps those stages ebb and flow, I was feeling I was in a mid-life stage of practice and yet, just recently, there's been a freshness to my asana practice as if that mid-life stage is feeding back into the more youthful stage, revitalising it.... perhaps the stages don't follow each other but are layered one on top of the other, nutrients filtering down, revitalising, giving new growth....

*
Notes: 
Of course 'Nathamuni's Yoga Rahasya' was actually written by Krishnamacharya who clearly retained a profound love of asana pretty much to the day he died (aged 100), but then he also had a great love of study and pranayama from an early age. And do we really need any justification for our asana practice.


*

And here's some Purcell, Dido's lament, When I'm laid in the Earth, from the most allegorical of operas Dido and Aeneas (stick with it for the Remember me at the end)

5 comments:

Mike said...

I'm not sure why you made the link with Dido and Aeneas. Oddly it was a work I studied for 'O level' music back in the day, and still have a copy on vinyl somewhere. I love the simplicity of the music, and how, even constrained by the musical and theatrical norms of his day, Purcell was able to bring such emotion to the work.

Just watching Sarah Connolly's performance there I was struck by something else though. What a feat for an opera singer to be able to maintain her breathing, quality of tone, controlled expression, focus etc whilst going through those bodily contortions. Remind you of anything?

Grimmly said...

My work collegue studied it too funny enough but for A-level. The link is kind of obscure but think witches coming between Aeneas' love for Dido,

yes, re breath and singers or woodwind and brass players for that matter, supporting the breath etc.

Unknown said...

Years ago when I started studying saxophone seriously my teacher (accomplished doubler) taught me about the 3 different breaths and total breath and using a candle for concentration to help with reading. Little did I know these were yoga practices. Circular breathing also came naturally to me. Sometimes I find the breath lengths in some of the asana videos very short compared to my breath but my consistency with my breath while moving through the asana is where my challenge lies. I'm still trying to figure out vinyasa krama. Sometimes i just do what you have done with my ashtanga practice i.e. take out the jump backs and through and hold postures longer and work through the series one side at a time rather than back and forth. I wish i had more time to work on this. i've started using ramaswami's suryanamaskar instead of the ashtanga A & B just to mix it up. thanks again for the great post.

Unknown said...

This is the book I studied from for years under the guidance of my teacher http://www.amazon.com/Circular-Breathing-For-Wind-Performer/dp/0769230709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381527597&sr=8-1&keywords=circular+breathing the art of circular breathing it's excellent really one of the best tone developers

Grimmly said...

I remember chatting with an older trumpet player i work with who mentioned an old yoga/pranayama book that was quite the rage among young trumpeters among people he played with.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.