Friday 3 January 2014

Kumbhaka, some of the science - Simon Borg Oliver and Shandor Remete

I added this to an earlier post on Kumbhaka but then thought it deserved it's own post.
LOOK INSIDE

It's worth following the link to my earlier look at Simon's Borg- Oliver's, nine bandhas idea, very interesting, built around the idea of 'joint complexes', so there's a knee bandha, wrist bandha etc, fascinating idea.

I've received a couple of emails mentioning Simon and also Shandor Remote in relation to kumbhaka.

The ever excellent Wild Yogi, of course, has interviews with both men. Simon studied with Shandor for twelve years I hear.

Interview with Simon Borg-Oliver - "Traditional yoga for modern body"

Interview with Shandor Remete - “Only few understand how internal energy works”


I first heard about Shandor in connection with his book Shadow yoga ( a beautiful little book), there is a brief mention of Krishnamacharya's 'Salutations to the teacher and eternal one' in the preface. It was from that reference that I managed to hunt down a copy and post it on the blog, later AG Mohan released it in a different arrangement as Yoga Makaranda part II.

Amazon Look Inside
I must do a proper review of this beautiful book

M. says of the Japanese kanji on the front cover that the top is the kanji for Shadow, the one below is for belly.

Here are too more shots to give you an idea how beautifully the book is produced


Excellent treatment of Marma points, several more illustrations, rear, side and from the top views.


Simon, in the sections from his book above, is taking a scientific approach to kumbhaka and in comments to the earlier approach I was asked about taking Blood pressure and  heart rate readings before and after practice.

I have to say I'm a little.... reserved with regards to yoga science results/conclusions, more often than not the samples are too small ( think of Krishnamacharya 'heart stopping' article that we posted and translated here), few major studies have been conducted and when they are they tend to be  commissioned or conducted by those involved in the yoga industry ( think of the Jois Yoga connection with the US University study, forget where) which makes them a little questionable. I find it difficult to give any more value to them than to any of the other anecdotal evidence we have related in yoga. Last week Eddie Stern published Pattabhi Jois' Yoga Therapy article, again disappointing, no evidence to back up the great man's arguments of course other than his own experience teaching, not exactly hard science but interesting all the same.

That is not say I don't find it all fascinating, as yoga becomes ever more influential in the west more work like that being done by Simon will be conducted in the universities, more independent studies.....

But I wonder, while we might find 'proof' of the health benefits of yoga ( did we really doubt it) or perhaps any dangers from poor teaching or practice, can Science really have much to say about what is most essential, about the heart of yoga, the stilling of mind to encounter the self/ absence of self, god/absence of god. There's psychology of course, psychiatry but I tend to be, like most good Englishmen, even more reserved towards the Psych's.

I am in no doubt that Yoga is on the whole good for me but it's not why I practice

I'll continue to enjoy reading the science while getting on with my practice, the only experiment, examination, that really matters is my own/your own, right there on the mat, cushion, library and throughout the rest of the day through yama/niyamas.

Simon is teaching at the Yoga Rainbow festival in May, I'm teaching there also so should be able to take his classes, looking forward to it.

In case you are interested re heart rate, I do have a (cheap) watch with a heart rate monitor.

My usual reading through most of the day is around 63

after nespresso it jumps to 80

after a long five breath chatuaranga ( Krishnamacharya style) it goes up to 100

After Sury's it tends to be 85

throughout most of my slow Krishnamacharya practice it tends to be around 75-85 but 65 in seated postures.

Kumbhaka is interesting my heart rate goes up to the mid 80's for antha kumbhaka ( after inhalation)
but down to around 57 after bhaya kumbhaka.

I tried that in pranayama ( high 50s) and also in Kappotasana.

Heart rate goes up for Kapo but you can bring it down with bhaya kumbhaka which is interesting as it seems to tie in with Krishnamacharya's arguments for switching the breathing pattern around to Langhna for those overweight ( you would normally employ antha kumbhaka for kapo).

That's about as far as I got, got fed up with checking and just got on with my practice, bad scientist.

Your readings of course might be completely different,  my morning espresso might have screwed up the readings ( should try it without). I indulged a little over Christmas and my fitness is down as I've been practicing a slower Krishnamacharya practice.

Read into it what you will.

1 comment:

Kecskeméti Balázs said...

Both you and Simon at one workshop? Makes me want to go!!! :)

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.