Friday 28 February 2014

Vinyasa Krama speeded up / Ashtanga slowed down


Here's my friend Oscar Montero  of Yoga Centro Victoria, Leon, Spain demonstrating his Vinyasa Krama practice. This is where I taught my first Krishnamacharya workshop last year. I miss Oscar, his students and practicing in this room


Mi práctica de ashtanga (ocho partes) vinyasa (creatividad) karma (inteligencia) yoga (aquietar la mente).
My ashtanga (eight parts) vinyasa (creativity) karma (intelligence) yoga (quiet mind).




I asked oscar how long it took in real time.

"I did 1 to 3 breaths in each asana, that took 15-30 seconds
I was a little rush than usually, worse breath so, normally I breath slower, i think because the camera I was less concentrated, and the perfect timing because the battery was finished just after dharana"

To get an idea of the regular pace of Oscar's practice here we are practicing together after the workshop. Unfortunately there were problems with the recording and we only managed to rescue 20 minutes. If the above video is of Vinyasa Krama speeded up, my practice on the right is an extreme slowing down of Ashtanga. This is my interpretation of Krishnamacharya 'original' Ashtanga approach as described in his 1934 book Yoga Makaranada, long slow inhalations and exhalations, Kumbhaka's ( retaining the breath in or out) and longer stays.



Oscar just told me that he shot the first video with the  imotion HD App.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/imotion-hd/id421365625?mt=8

My upcoming workshops

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.