Thursday 30 August 2012

The 'Original' Ashtanga yoga Syllabus given to Nancy Gilgoff and David Williams by Sri K Pattabhi Jois in 1974 Mysore

The 'Original' Ashtanga yoga Syllabus given to Nancy Gilgoff and David Williams by Sri K Pattabhi Jois in 1974 Mysore

"In fact, David and I had no idea that there were two separate series until the end of that first four-month trip, when we were leaving, at which point Guruji gave us a sheet of paper with a list of the postures, which were listed as Primary, Intermediate, Advanced A, and Advanced B. At this point he told us to practice one series a day, and only once a day".
 from Ashtanga Yoga as it was (The long and the short of it )  Nancy Gilgoff





many thanks to Anon for passing it along and especially to Nancy for giving permission to post it this morning and share with the community at large.

Available as pfd download from googledocs
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7JXC_g3qGlWRzZWOUltVnh3RFU

See my earlier blog post on Nancy's article
http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/dear-nancy-yoga-as-it-was-nancy-gilgoff.html

also here
http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/dear-nancy-breath-in-73.html

and here
http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/dear-nancy-head-updown-jalandhara.html

9 comments:

Claudia said...

very interesting! :-)

Brianna Nash said...

I feel like I need to go back to the very beginning of your blog to catch up to where most people who follow you are now. These links and this particular blog were quite informative and nice to read this morning. I wish I had four months to spend at the shala in Mysore just to be surrounded and entrenched in the method.

Nevertheless, I'm glad that you provide such awesome information for those who are fairly new to the practice. :) Thank you for all your excellent posts.

Grimmly said...

Isn't it though Claudia, love how the paper has yellowed and the uneven type...a real typewriter for heaven sake :-) best of all though, I love that guruji took the time to type it out and add all the extras, the texts, pranayama's etc. laying it out in syllubus form, and how generous of Nancy to let it be shared in this way.

Anonymous said...

soooo f**king cool!!!

D79 said...

Love this so much I just had to share it on my blog- hope that's ok G. I think it's great how the syllabus includes the study of classic texts.

Good luck with your workshop, I'm sure you will find it very interesting. Enjoy.

Grimmly said...

Thank you Brianna .

Indeed Anon : )

Feel free dtw,

Ursula said...

One cannot emphasize enough what you wrote and found out.

Primary and second series belong together. It's nonsense to stop people before the end of second series.

Thank you for your posts.

Grimmly said...

hi Ursula, nancy did mention though in one of the other posts i link to i think, that Pattabhi Jois recommended they only practice one series a day. I do think that primary to kapo makes a nice practice but then i also think that a slow primary to navasdana makes a nice practice too. i'm on the fence on this.....it's a wide fence.

Ursula said...

To be honest 1 series is enough for me on one day. I like to alter. During a week I love to have enough back bending also not only forward bending and 2 twists like in primary.

I'm there now where I want to be. I've no reason anymore to complain.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.