I've heard it said—and been told repeatedly—that the jump back isn't that important, that it's nothing to get hung up on, and that it will simply come with time.
I actually agree with this. I accept that it is just one aspect of the practice, and there are plenty of variations that allow you to link the asanas together seamlessly. Supposedly, Nancy Gilgoff never even used the jump back at all.
BUT:
I like the jump back!
I want to jump back!
I WILL jump back!
I love how it links the postures. I love how the practice flows when you can float out of one asana and jump straight through into the next. Ashtanga is a dynamic, flowing practice—so what's wrong with focusing on that flow?
We shouldn't have to defend our desire to master it.
That said, there have been times when I've walked off the mat mid-practice out of sheer frustration at not being able to lift up. That’s where the "don't get hung up on it" advice becomes crucial.
What has worked best for me is finding a comfortable variation that fits inside my regular practice, while actively working on building the strength for it outside of practice.
Here are two short videos:
Daily Practice Approach: How I am currently incorporating the jump back into my routine.
UPDATE 3 years later (8th july 2011 )
Over the last few years I've been adding my Jump backs to a progress post here's the link,
Jump back's past to present
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.