Thursday 6 October 2011

Day 5 : Utkatasana ( full squat) practice notes from Vinyasa Krama On your feet sequence

VIDEO LINK

Utkatasana is of course the logical development from yesterdays ardha utkatasana ( half squat) but can be practiced as a stand alone subroutine as can most of the subroutines in Ramaswami's book. We might choose to practice the half squat one day the full squat another.

In my practice I tend to do a mixture of both, so I might start with the hands out in front half squat version of the first variation below and then do the hands above head version of full utkatasana as in the third picture, both of these postures I might enter and exit on the breath but then aim for a long stay in the hands behind the back in prayer vinyasa of utkatasana, the 6th picture below.

The hands behind the back version is a tough posture and it can be challenging to stop yourself from falling back, yep done that. Bandhas help. I engage them and then have a mental image of a large hook attached to my mula bandha and hooked into the mat below.  Jalandhara bandha, the chin lock also helps, also really laying on the ujjayi breath, constricting the throat more, all seem to help.

I like these postures, you feel them in the thigh muscles but I see them as prep for pasasana, a really nasty bind in utkatasana that will come up tomorrow.

Ramaswami used to talk about tapas postures, usually the On one leg vinyasas but I think these count too especially if you go for the full five minute stay, surely we earn a boon from the gods for that one.

In Ashtanga when working towards pasasana sometimes a rolled up towel under the heels is suggested and that might be an idea if you lack flexion in the ankle as a result of your bone structure.

The first posture might be attempted holding on to a chair for support, the others with your back against a wall if you need a little help while building up some strength in your legs

My left knee tends to play up a bit sometimes, old old injury. If you feel strain on the knee coming up put your hands to the mat and come up into uttanasana (standing forward bend and come back up that way.

NB: These are practice notes that will be tidied up and put into the new edition of my Vinyasa Yoga Practice Book along with the current sequences and subroutines. The book can be freely downloadedHERE. There is a page on Facebook HERE with all the latest sheets and updates. This book is in no way a substitute for Ramaswami's Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga.

7 comments:

Surya said...

Hi Grimm,

Thought you might like my post on lotus.
http://dindima.wordpress.com/category/asanas/

Thanks,
Surya.

Micqui said...

Hi Grim, I tried this sequence for the first time last week, loved it, I found the second one you show with arms out to the side, the most difficult one, as if I take them out completely straight (like in say, warrior 2) I fell straight back!! From your photo it looks as if you have the same problem! I agree though, great pasasana prep. Re pasasana, have you tried "hard" locking uddi in this one? You may then be able to tuck your thighs under your rib cage!

Grimmly said...

Love the video Surya, we were trying to do those hands free lotus in our free time while on Ramaswami's course, true yoga geeks. One of the guys, Chris was trying to teach us, took me another year to get it, post on it here somewhere. nice blog too, have added it to my list, hope that's OK.

Grimmly said...

Micqui hi. Was just mentioning you on another post re bandhas and your foot bandha which I want to re read. have a look at the comment on this post
http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/2011/10/day-4-svk-subroutine-notes-ardha.html
sounds an interesting book.

Just posted on another utkatasana variation, malasana, on the vinyasa Krama blog, posting on pasasana tomorrow.

Yes, I agree strong mula and uddiyana help with all these. A deep bind in pasasana is one of my favourite postures, uncricks my back perfectly.

This is one of the sequences I filmed two years ago before going on Ramaswami's course, do I stumble a bit haven't watched it in ages : )

Surya said...

Thanks Grimm.

Thais said...

interesting i did not know that what we usually consider utkatasana is actually HALF utkatasana.. learn something new everyday! TY

Grimmly said...

Indeed teeg, who knew....or that there's a standing kurmasana (see the next post on malasana day 6) Lots of Ahhh moments in Vinyasa karma.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.