Tuesday 14 February 2012

Krishnamacharya's Yogasanagalu

Yogasanagalu pdf

The Introduction (translation may be on it's way).



Notice that this is the fourth (expanded) edition and that it's written in the Kanada language which suggests Mysore. We also see above that it was published by Mysore university. 

When was Yogasanagalu first published? 

I'd always assumed that this was a later text and that there had been a shift in Krishnamacharya's teaching style from something more in keeping with Pattabhi Jois' Ashtanga to Ramaswami's Vinyasa Krama or Desikachar's Viniyoga. These scans of the Yogasanagalu had been sent to me while I was on Ramaswami's TT course and seemed to be exactly what I was learning from Ramaswami. How to square that with the Ashtanga style I had originally practiced, surely there had been a change of approach from when Krishnamcharya left the large group of kids at the Mysore palace to teach one-to-one in Chennai.

It appears that Yogasanagalu was actually first published in 1941, slap bang in the middle of Krishnamacharya's Mysore period, six years after his Yoga Makaranda and at the same time as he was teaching Indra Devi, Iyengar and Pattabhi Jois.

There was no early/ late Krishnamacharya, and his teaching now appears quite consistent throughout his life, no Kehre (turn), no softening of the practice with age. 

Ashtanga doesn't represent Krishnamacharya's early style of teaching, it seems more a representation of how Krishnamacharya taught in a particular environment and in a particular set of circumstances i.e. the kids of the Mysore palace (and perhaps Pattabhi Jois' development or codification of that period as it seems he was asked to teach some of Krishnamacharya's classes). This would explain the 1938 movie, we see Iyengar doing an Ashtanga style demonstration (very out of keeping with the Iyengar yoga we're familiar with that he was developing in the 40's and 50's) and yet Krishnamacharya practicing in a more 'Vinyasa Krama' style.




*If anyone has a translation of the yogasanagalu or at least a summery I would love to see it, my email can be found in the ABOUT ME section of this blog.


6 comments:

Savim said...

Hi Grimly,
I did a translation of the first page of the introduction few days ago and was waiting for you to open up the comments button to upload. I will post it tonight when I get home.

Satya

Grimmly said...

Thats really exciting Satya. If yo were to sendit direct to my email grimmly2007 a t google . c o m i could do a post with the translation and kanada original side by

Savim said...

OK, I will send it directly to you. I will see if I can complete the introduction section since you now have uploaded the whole book. I will do the best I can before Thursday when I have to leave for a 10 day trip to Mysore & Chennai :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing to see the book! However, I thought the Yogasanagalu was written at the time of Yogamakaranda in the 1930s. The yogasana pictures of Krishnamacharya in the book you've uploaded appear to be of him in his late 70s, early 80s, as they also appear in Desikachar's "Heart of Yoga." Were the yogasana pictures a later edition? Anyone have the history of the text? The only thing I really know about the book is what I read in Mark Singleton's essay in "Yoga in Practice," edited by David Gordon White, and the scatterings on mentions around the www. Keep up the good work Grimmly!

Grimmly said...

Will look forward to it Satya. I've just added the first three pages (the introduction) to this post, easier to read perhaps. I'm going to see about making a better scan along these lines over the next week and then replace the one on google docs. have a great trip.

Grimmly said...

Hi Anon.

So this is the fourth edition (expanded). i showed it to Ramaswami and i seem to remember him saying that krishnamacharya had given him one or more of these pictures saying that he had them done to update those in one of his books, a new edition. that must be this 1981 edition.

I believe Alex Medin worked on a translation of it a couple of years back, I think that was a 1957 edition.

Then we have the one from 1941 that Mark Singleton refers to in Yoga Body( I think this was partly translated) which may well be the original.

That's three edition's, one more unaccounted for so far, perhaps your right and there's an even earlier one from the 1930's.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.