Tuesday, 11 August 2026

Returning to practice REDUX

I was asked for an invitation to this blog this week. I'd closed the blog down a year or two ago and apart from a couple of people doing PhD research, there were no readers of the blog. At first, I intend to say no and even wrote the email but for some reason, it wouldn't send. I made the mistake of mentioning this to M. and she gave me a hard time about not letting somebody who had requested information access it. Frankly, I couldn't remember why I had felt so strongly about disappearing from the web completely anyway. Especially, as it's seemingly near impossible to erase yourself from the web. The blog was still appearing on some ripoff site and there were the odd photos and interviews floating around that I couldn't remove. 

The guy who contacted me mentioned that he was nearing 50 and had found my blog useful in the past.

Well now I'm nearing 60, with a few months more to go, and perhaps a post on my practice at this point in my life wouldn't go amiss.

My last post like this was in 2019. I called that "Returning to practice" and logged some reflections day by day and week by week. I'd like to try something similar if only for my own interest.

My practice has been up and down over the last few years. It would start to come back and then there would be another OA (osteoarthritis) attack or the ganglion cyst on my wrist would play up or, more recently, my knee blowing up the size of a melon. The practice would go on hold or get switched from Ashtanga to Vinyasa Krama or Shibrasham's approach in Remergemce of yoga or at one point last year, qigong and taichi. But as the body started to recover and some form of regular practice resumed I'd find myself edging back towards Ashtanga, however, limited.

So this post then is journaling the latest 'return' to practice.


31st January 2023

Day One - Tuesday

For the last few months, I've been focussing on my Japanese in the mornings. I've been tardy with the practice since before Christmas. A little practice here, a little there. I've put on some weight (83.5kg - My practice weight for years was 77.7). My body is stiffer than I ever remember it. My knees have seized up, my hamstring has lost flexibility, knees are painful. It was one thing to lose most of Seated but to find I'd also lost most of standing too was rather disturbing.

So a simplified practice.

Ten minutes of Vinyasa Krama Tadasana

Ten minutes of Simon Borg-Olivier's spinal series

Five sun salutations A, two of B.

A humbling Ashtanga standing sequence

Ardha badha is bindable but not bendable.

Paschimotanasana doesn't have much forward bend in it so I focussed more on Dandasana with some Vinyasa Krama arm movements

Tirang Mucha is uncomfortable, some cramping.

Janu sirsasana, the left knee doesn't want to sit flat. No forward bend so settled for Maha Mudra instead.

A laughable marichiyasana A, little to no forward bend,

Ardho matsendrasana for a twist

Gomhukhasana, a little uncomfortable but doable

A back arch than an attempt at baddha konasana, knees didn't want to go down to the mat, god i used to love this posture so much.

Some pranayama in sitting cross legged (six rounds)

A very short Sit.


Day 2 - Wednesday

Pretty much as above other than a full five Sury Bs. A little less stiff, forward bends were marginally improved.

My knees went to the mat in Badha Konasana. I ended up staying there for pranayama and my sit. - I paid for this later as my legs were a little painful at work that day.

Day 3 - Thursday.

As above but again, a little improved, a little more comfortable. My body felt a little more controlled, and standing felt more erect rather than collapsing under the weight of gravity.

I could fold half way in standing ardha baddha

janu sirsasana was back rather than just Maha mudra.

I included a short shoulder stand and headstand. I don't agree with them but still miss them.


Day 4 - Friday.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.