Friday, 24 April 2009

Developing a home practice Part 2

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11Part 11b Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15Part 15b Part 16 Part 17 Part 18 Part 19 Part 20 Part 21Part 21b Part 22 Part 23 Part 24 Part 25 Part 26a Part 26b Part 27 Parts 28, 29 and 30 Part 32 Part 33 Part 34

I think in the beginning I didn't even think of myself as doing Ashtanga but rather just doing some Yoga. The book I was using just happened to be Ashtanga. I didn't read much of the introduction but just dived into Surynamaskara and the standing postures. Going to a yoga class wasn't something I even considered. A guy here, outside London, might think about going to a gym to get in shape but not a Yoga class, probably not even an aerobic class, at least not in the beginning. Besides getting fit and healthy was more of a by product. I was doing Yoga more as a meditative thing right from the beginning. I wanted to get absorbed, lost even, in what I was doing. I think it was that absorption that delighted me and that I looked forward to in the morning. It helped that it was the tail end of Winter, still dark in the mornings. I didn't want to put the light on and disturb the Chinchilla so would just throw down my towel (no mat then) and practice in the dark with just the light from the hallway to see the book by. After I finished I would sit for a while and do some Vipassana.

Of course at the same time I started to Google. I found out more about yoga and of course Ashtanga. I remember seeing that Youtube video of the guy practicing in the temple and being blown away by it (still am) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu9Sq1RvuoA ,was this what I was doing? I think that video got me excited and 'lit a fire' for the practice. I started trying out some of the seated postures from the book. My Paschimottanasana's were pretty sad, I could reach my ankles but my knees were very bent, I couldn't imagine ever having them flat on the floor.

I was now thinking about Ashtanga rather than Yoga and wanted a video and a mat. I remember feeling a bit sheepish going to an exercise shop and looking at the yoga section. I bought a box that had a purple mat and some blocks and wanted to say at the counter that it wasn't for me but a present for a friend. But I loved that first mat (still have it). I remember reading Elsie's blog (that I miss, by the way) where she talks about 'old blue', that's how I felt about my purple mat. As soon as I got home I rolled it out and threw down a few Sury A's.

I can't remember how came across the Mark Darby DVD http://www.amazon.com/Ashtanga-Yoga-Primary-Mark-Darby/dp/B0006I036C but I still think I was really lucky to choose it and that it's THE best beginners ashtanga DVD. I lent it to a friend and still haven't got it back. I think it starts with a little Demo of Mark doing his own practice, a mixture of 1st 2nd and Advanced I think, very very cool. Could I ever do that, loved the jump back and the handstand/arm balances even then.

The video has Mark Darby doing the standard Ashtanga Primary but his student Nicole Bordeleau practicing alongside, but doing some simplified variations and explaining them in her French Canadian accent...I'm still madly in love with Nicole Bordeleau. Presenting it this way the practice didn't seem dumbed down for beginners but rather just making allowances for an individuals flexibility. Here was a simplified Jump back or rather step back allowing you to link the poses. I began to get the hang of the Ujjayi breath. I remember it being described somewhere as constricting the throat and trying to sound like Darth Vader. I was skeptical about the Bandhas (no change there then).

If I'd started by going to Shala to learn Ashtanga I guess I would have been given one pose at a time and not allowed to progress past the current pose until it was... acceptable. I didn't hear about any of that until much later, and was, (still am) very surprised by it. I was only constrained by time. The video was an hour and a half, I would just do Standing and finishing on a work day but follow the whole video through on my day off and on Sundays. So within a month I was practicing all of primary, though using variations throughout.

It was a good job I bought the video when I did, Nicola (sigh) would give lots of advice for practicing safely, if I'd just carried on with the book I would probably have injured myself. After an hour and a half practicing with the video I was completely wasted. I would sweat a kilo and every muscle in my body would ache/tingle.....it felt fantastic.

Next : Coming across David Swenson's book and videos

10 comments:

nemsissi said...

It was great to read the beginnings of your practice. I liked it very much

Anonymous said...

What I struggle with ... how do you get through the days when you don't want to practice? Or you're having a lousy practice and want to modify too much?

Anonymous said...

Hey Grimmly, It's really heartening to read these entries on your earlier experience of your practice. It's all too easy for me to look at someone else and think 'I'll never be able to do that'. These posts are a real gift in terms of understanding that a personal practice is a journey and we have our own unique challenges to face within that practice. Thanks. Ruth

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting reading part 1 & 2, can't wait for the next one! Thanks for posting!
D.

Grimmly said...

Hi Szeyamo I'll try to address that in part 3, it's a very good question, the problem keeps coming up in different forms.

Thanks Ruth and Anon. I wasn't sure about posting all this. Usually I just post a Video and a couple of lines and leave it at that. But I've had a couple of mails recently about the difficulty people have building a home practice.
The questions I'm getting in the comments are helping too as it gives me something to focus on.

(0v0) said...

Maybe you could think about it a while and do a follow up post like you did with the jump back. Like your seven key points for an uncomplicated practice, based on your experience. E.g.,

1. Sufficient new suffering to create intense desire to quiet mind.
2. David Swenson products.
3. Quiet mornings.
4. Chinchilla guru.

Grimmly said...

'Sufficient new suffering to create intense desire to quiet mind'.
I wouldn't call it 'intense suffering' but rather a growing annoyance with still being peeved about whole thing and read 'give some yoga a go then' for 'intense desire' at wanting to get back to my general easy going,laid back disposition...rather than 'quiet mind'.
But I guess 'suffering' 'intense deisre' and 'quiet mind' sell more ink.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Hey, I love this history-of-a-practice series!

(Joanne Darby calls that intro to Darby's DVD his "two minutes of glory" ;)

Krishna said...

Dear Friend

It is wonderful that you have documented your ashtanga practice right from the beginning and definitely many beginners to Ashtanga Yoga practice will find these entries quite useful .
From this post it seems u went about practicing the entire primary series in one go much earlier itself . Did u follow the Vinyayas between the postures and between the sides when u did the entire series in the beginning or just stuck to doing all the posture of the primary series with the relevant modifications ?
I really appreciate your efforts in documenting your ashtanga practice as well as your current vinyasa practice and wish u all the best to continue doing so .

Grimmly said...

hi Joy, I missed your comment from way. i recently got Darby's DVD back from a friend and watched it again, still think it's the best of the bunch.

Hi Krishna. Long time ago now but I'm pretty sure i was doing vinyasa between each side although back then it was kind of stepping back. thank you for your kind words.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.