Sunday, 26 April 2009

Developing a home practice Part 5

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11Part 11b Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15Part 15b Part 16 Part 17 Part 18 Part 19 Part 20 Part 21Part 21b Part 22 Part 23 Part 24 Part 25 Part 26a Part 26b Part 27 Parts 28, 29 and 30 Part 32 Part 33 Part 34

In November 07 I moved out of the awful flat that had been burgled into a nice house with a garden fifteen minutes by bike from where I worked. There was an extra room for Nietzsche (my chinchilla) and a lot of space to practice downstairs. I'm still here now and all the video's on this blog have been taken in this house. The first video I have of my practice is from this time, an early attempt at Jumping back.

Nov 07

That the first video I have is of a Jump back suggests that I was already becoming obsessed with it. Now that I had a steady practice in the Swenson 40 minute short form and didn't need to keep referring to a book, flow began to become more important to me. I wanted a seamless practice, but after each asana here was this awkward transition, a half step, half jump, back into chaturanga. Jumping back through was even more awkward and halting.
I would read that teachers in the shala's would tell their students the Jump back wasn't so important, but it was important to me. For me, the practice was a meditation and by now it had pretty much replaced my Vipassana practice. Throughout the practice I would focus on the breath, or try to, but here was this awkward move getting in the way again and again throughout the practice. I started to search all over the web for any suggestions I could find, any video that might help me get a handle on it.
The bandhas were of course referred to a lot. The secret to the jump back...the bandhas. great, thanks.....now what's the secret to the bandhas...silence. I read about core strength. I couldn't jump back so clearly my core strength was wanting. Off to Youtube and I find twins demonstrating insane Pilate's exercises that were supposed to develop the core. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRiL00Y32wk&feature=channel_page Don't try this at home ..... no really, DON'T try this at home.

It was around this time that I came across Larry Shultz's The Rocket. http://www.itsyoga.net/rocket.php There's a section in there that is supposed to develop the core and it had all these arm balances taken from Advanced A and B as well as backbends from 2nd. It wasn't my fault, I was seduced, enticed to the dark side, to Power vinyasa flow Ashtanga power plus . I sent off for the DVD


Next : Flirting with THE ROCKET

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm also practicing daily at home (although power vinyasa yoga, and not ashtanga) since last August and find this series very motivational. Thanks for posting! :-)
D.

nemsissi said...

I am glad I was so nosy and courageous enough to ask ;-)

Anonymous said...

You know I was teacher-trained by those people in SF itself, yes?

Grimmly said...

I'd forgotten that Patrick, I still have a soft spot for the Rocket though, DVD still on the shelf though i haven't used it for awhile.
Thanks for commenting Anon. Hope your practice is going well.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.