Monday, 4 May 2009

Developing a Home practice Part 12 Blogging on the jump back

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11Part 11b Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15Part 15b Part 16 Part 17 Part 18 Part 19 Part 20 Part 21Part 21b Part 22 Part 23 Part 24 Part 25 Part 26a Part 26b Part 27 Parts 28, 29 and 30 Part 32 Part 33 Part 34


I've said that blogging began to take over my practice and this was especially the case in the first few months. If I'd been fixated on the Jump back before I started to blog, once I'd begun it became an obsession. I have a little Application on my blog called Feedjit, it shows where visitors to the blog are coming from with little country flags. Love this application so nice to see people coming from all over the world, and great to see some of the flags appearing again and again. Over time I've managed to put a few names to some of the flags after receiving comments, nice to see a flag pop up and be able to think 'Oh hi G, how's Vienna this morning' or to notice that A.'s popped by really early before her practice in California or T. from Osaka etc. It also shows how some have arrived here in the first place by showing their google search, my favourite was someone searching for 'grimmly jump back guy'. I've come across links from blogs in Japanese referring to me as Uncle, whose obsessed with the Jump back.

The first month of the blog was mainly bringing together information I'd found online but I also posted a couple of videos of my own attempts at jumping back. I've just counted, I posted six videos of my Jump back in that first month. Strangely, I never felt self conscious about it, perhaps because I didn't think that many people would see them anyway, and that anyone who did make it here would be, like me, trying to nail the jump back themselves.

Posting here encouraged me to think about the jump back more, to try new things and video them. I posted videos of me trying to jump back in grip socks on a bare floor. I tried Yoga blocks, Nike push up grips (really helpful). I tried to do straight leg the Jump through (never managed it) as well as jumping through crossed leg. My whole practice revolved around the Jump back as did my day. I did my practice in the morning and as soon as I got home in the evening I got changed and worked on it some more. I started to think about the physics involved as well as the anatomy, one of the few times in fact that I've bothered with anatomy.

Actually I've been thinking about this recently, have you noticed there's hardly any anatomy on this blog? There was a couple of posts on Grilley's anatomy DVD which I watched once. Found it interesting but never got around to looking at it again. I bought a couple of books on anatomy and yoga but haven't really bothered with them. Several bloggers I know refer to it a lot and there are lots of anatomical terms floating around that I always have to google. It's curious, I've studied some brain science in my time but in connection with yoga I have virtually no interest in anatomy at all. Why do you think that is? It's not like I'm all New Age (so far from it) and into a mystical or spiritual aspect of the practice and have a resistance to the western scientific approach. I also don't seem to want to think about it culturally or philosophically and yet I'm a Philosopher. I remember once making a conscious decision not to Philosophise about Love, not to deconstruct it. I was probably afraid that if I did then it might be like an onion and after peeling away layer after layer there might be nothing left. I wonder if, on a subconscious level, I feel the same about Yoga. Afraid to look at it too closely in case I lose my passion for it.

That said I keep meaning to fish out the Anatomy books and try to work out how you count the vertebra of the spine. I have this little twinge in the same place, probably at the bottom of the thoracic region. Nothing much, if I poke my finger around there it feels a bit like a small bruise. It's made me pretty much lay off the drop backs and Kapo's for a bit 'till it passes but I've also wondered if it might come from putting my leg behind the head.

Of course, practicing at home without a teacher we probably need to know a bit of anatomy so we don't end of buggering ourselves up.



Next: Not just about the jump back

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your blog looks really nice! (Maybe you didn't make the changes now, but I read it normally in Google Reader.) :-)
D.

Nemsissi said...

Hi Grimmly, G is visiting sometimes under Hungarian flag, just fyi. :)- I wanted to mention that theres is website www.tinyurl.com where you can shorten the long urls. - just an idea.

Liz said...

I don't think much about anatomy either, but I enjoy reading posts of those who do... I let them do the work. ha ha!!

Grimmly said...

tinyurl, great idea thanks N

Hi Liz, I like reading them too, it's like Ohhhhhh, so that's what a hip flexor is, I've got one of those and everything...

susananda said...

Start with the book Rolfing by Ida Rolf, that's the one that drew me in. The problem initially was I found standard anatomy books too dry and I wanted magic.. this book has some.

Unknown said...

hi, grim, love your texts. they are so .... deep. somehow like murakami.

i am kind of obsessive right now with jumping back. hope sometime i am also able to do it.

thanks for all the information and the special way that you share it.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.