Sunday, 10 May 2009

Developing a home practice Part 14 Visiting a shala.

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11Part 11b Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15Part 15b Part 16 Part 17 Part 18 Part 19 Part 20 Part 21Part 21b Part 22 Part 23 Part 24 Part 25 Part 26a Part 26b Part 27 Parts 28, 29 and 30 Part 32 Part 33 Part 34

I first visited a shala in September 08, a year and a half after I'd begun practicing Ashtanga. I went two Sundays in a row and haven't been since, though, just recently, I've started to think about going again (though still haven't been).

Which raises some questions.

Why did it take a year and a half before I first went to a Shala?
What made me want to go when I finally did go?
What did I think of it?
Why did I stop going after only two classes?
Why haven't I been since?
What's making me think I want to go to a Shala now?

Been thinking about this all week but am still confused about it myself, which is why I haven't written on it yet. Perhaps if I break it up into the above questions I can approach it that way.

2 comments:

Cory said...

Actually, I've been thinking about the same thing too. David Swenson is coming and I'm trying to decide to go. Will it make me better, I wonder? I've grown so accustomed to home practice that I really view it as a private affair now. Yay or nay?

Grimmly said...

Hi Cory. Workshops seem separate somehow, can't imagine it would interfere with my home practice in the way that visiting a shala might. people come from different shalas, different teachers so i can;t imagine you get the 'this way or the highway attitude'. I would have liked to have gone to one of David's a couple of years ago.
The only workshops I'm interested in at the moment are David Williams and Maju Jois', i think because i'm quite interested in the early days

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.