*This post is dedicated to a friend who's not so well at the moment and can't practice. Can imagine she's feeling like it's all slipping away. I thought my heels, let alone my ankles were long gone in kapo but there they were again, between my calves and my feet, just where I left them. Get well C.
After being away in Wales, revisiting the Vinyasa Krama sequences, I came back and practiced my first Ashtanga 2nd series in a fortnight, felt liked I'd been hit by a truck. It was scrappy and undisciplined. This wasn't perhaps surprising as I'd only practiced a handful of 2nd's in the last few months. If I'm only going to practice it once a week it needed tidying up. Two weeks of Intermediate later and it's a lot cleaner but throughout the last two weeks, kapo has been pretty lame, my hands coming down in front of my feet and only managing to walk them in half way up my feet.
Sunday, I joyfully practiced Vinyasa Krama, long long practice, Asymmetric, Seated leading up to lots of leg behind head postures, same thing yesterday, postures felt deeper, more comfortable. This morning was the turn of backbends, Bow and Meditative sequence plus some extra work around Eka pada raja Kapotasana, Eka pada kapo....
My first Kapo landed half way up my feet, the second I grabbed my heels. I filmed the third and caught my ankles. I put it down to the extra prep in Bow sequence. There's a little in 2nd series of course, bit of a build up, nine postures to be exact (actually that's not fair there are also seven upward dogs). In Vinyasa Krama's Bow sequence there are thirty-five, that's a lot of preparation.
It's something I like about Vinyasa Krama, the gradual build up, the deepening of postures as you work through the subroutines and sequences, whether it's the twists, the forward bends and leg behind head postures or the backbend. Or Lotus, where you have twenty hip openers and half lotuses before you reach full lotus.
Begs the question though, why do thirty-five postures as prep for kapo when you can get away with nine ( lot of Ashtangi's have beautiful kapo's). Well, it is an intense posture, one of the most intense, makes sense to work your way into it especially if your going to take that further into even more intense backbends. Ashtanga recognises this, kapo at least gets that nine posture lead in. Leg behind head only gets four in 2nd series and the same in 3rd against, what, twenty-four in VK.
I'm not saying one style is better than another just highlighting the differences, both have their ... issues but if your struggling with kapo or your lotus, or getting your leg behind your head then you might like to moonlight a little, especially if your practicing at home.
If you do get stuck at Kapo or Marichyasana D or at getting your leg behind your head in Eka pada sirsasana, or getting into Lotus at the end of Primary or, indeed, dropping back and coming up, it may well be that your not ready for those postures but it might also be that you could just do with a couple more prep poses to lead into them. Before you give up on yoga and I received an email on this very topic earlier in the week, it might be something to consider.
If your practicing at home, those extra postures, just like those variations of the postures in David Swenson's book, for us, at home, they take the place of Shala assists.
Update.
Come to think of it, I think this must be one of my deepest Kapo's ever. Just searched my blog for the any other picture I had of an ankles kapo, found one from March 2010. That's it on the left and this mornings on the right.
How does that work, a month of merely clinging to your toes and then boom, top of ankles.
NOTE: Blog address now begins grimmly1997. I've unpublished 80% of posts but retained, on request, the Krishnamacharya 'Research' posts. Comments are turned off, there are no blog "members". NOTE 2: If you have landed on the mobile page, you need to scroll down and click on web version to get all the stand alone pages on Krishnamacharya, Asana lists, Yogasanagalu, Proficient Primary etc.
Pages
- Home
- Yama and Niyama: Krishnamacharya, Jois, Ramaswami
- Asana Lists Inc. Original 1974 Ashtanga Syllabus
- Krishnamacharya resource page
- Slow Ashtanga PLUS Yoga Makaranda Part I and II
- Yoga Reading List
- How to practice Krishnamacharya's Early Ashtanga Yoga
- Krishnamacharya's Yogasanagalu (1941) (translation project)
- The Ashtanga Key - Surya Namaskara
- Srivatsa Ramaswami Vinyasa Krama Resource page
- How to meditate
- VINYASA KRAMA sequences/subroutines
- Free Downloads (Updated with more links)
- Proficient Primary.
- Chanting Yoga Sutras
- YOGA GLOSSARY

6 comments:
Grimmly,
Which VK routine or sub routine do you recommend as a prep for Marichi D?
Asymmetric sequence Anon. There are twisting versions of most of those early primary postures as well as a few others. It's a long sequence though so you might want to leave out some postures from the sequence 9 you get to cherry pick in VK ).
I start my practice with the short tadasana subroutine, that has a couple of twists but in the full On your feet/tadasana sequence there are even more twists so you could come up with your own twisting focused short tadasana.
Important thing is that lifting out of the hips that we focus on in tadasana, carry that over into the asymmetric.
Lots going on in marichiyasa D, complicated posture not just the twisting to worry about but actual technique of the posture.
Working on pasasana which although 2nd series ashtanga, comes in the On your feet sequence of Ashtanga.
Try it (pasasana) with something under your heels. from standing, twist to the right, squat then lean all the way over to the right and try and wrap your arms around your knees and bind with your fingers.
or my variation. From standing take your arms over your head twist to the right, stretch back then fold over, squat and then wrap your arms around your knees ( use a towel on them to stop slipping off. ( I have a post and video on it somewhere).
Doesn't matter whether you can do it, there's something about that action of trying to get your shoulder down low to the knee to try and wrap your arms around that you can then carry over to your Marichiyasa D work.
G, first of all, thank you. So grateful to have an iPad from which I can read you even in collapsed-asana.
The difference in the before and after pictures at the bottom there is stunning, what progress!!!
Really liked when you said you 'joyously' did your v kraming... Nice way to put it.
Now I am guessing this bowing and meditative sequences are the ones you recommend for the drop backs? It makes total sense to me to work a little deeper with more prep. Tell you what, will go get the vk book all the way in the other room.... You got me curious again
Thanks Grimmly! Will try it and let you know how it goes.
Your welcome BTW
hey Claudia, hope your feeling a little better today. how did anyone cope with being sick before the iPad, I think it's one of the great medical advances, up there with penicillin I'd say. I have Ramaswami's book ON my iPad, took photo's of every page and turned it into a pdf for when I went to Wales. Wonder if you can manages some light, gentle versions of some of the Supine or Asymmetric postures, sort of half twists, half bends.
Glad you see a difference between the two pictures, was wondering if I was imagining it.
I looked in the end at the bow pose with a lot of detail, I may not have PDF-ed into the ipad (nice touch) but had the book nearby anyway, really good to see how he builds it up slowly and over so many variations...
Will look at the Supine and the twists in a little while see what you mean... thanks for the suggestions!
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.