Tuesday 31 January 2012

The Ashtanga Rishi approach, Seventh Day (2nd series), leg behind head..

Patanjali
*Three posts today, this one another 'Dear Nancy...' post and the full 45 minute 1938 Krishnamacharya movie.


First the intro bit again...
A series of posts exploring the 'Ashtanga Rishi Series' mentioned at the end of Nancy Gilgoff's Article (see link below) and outlined in a reply by David Willams on his forum below (the headings in block capitals are mine).

I'll be starting each of these posts with this same introduction/reminder of the context.

'Originally there were five series: Primary, Intermediate, Advanced A, Advanced B, and the fifth was the “rishi” series.

Ashtanga Rishi Approach
'...Doing a practice of 10 postures for up to 50 breaths is a method of preparing for "advanced series" after one has learned 1st and 2nd. It can be done once or twice a week. One does the "salutations" and then starts going thru the series, holding each posture for as long as comfortably possible. Notice which postures could be held for 50 breaths. The next time you practice this way, the postures which you could hold for 50 are omitted and new ones are added at the end. One gradually works thru the series, dropping and adding asanas, still doing 10 asanas per session. I have gone all the way thru 1st and 2nd this way several times over the years and have found it beneficial.

Ashtanga Rishi Series
'Then, once one has mastered all of the asanas, one can practice "the rishi series", the most advanced practice. One does the 10 postures that one intuits will be the most beneficial and appropriate for that day, holding each posture for up to 50 comfortable breaths'.

Ashtanga Rishi Blog post series
Ashtanga Rishi Approach, first day Paschimottanasana to Janu sirsasana A
Ashtanga Rishi Approach, second day  Janu Sirsasana B to Navasana
Ashtanga Rishi Approach, third day Bhuja pindasana to badha konasana
Ashtanga Rishi Approach, fourth day Upavishta konasana to Supta bandhasana
Ashtanga Rishi Approach, fifth day Pasasana to Kapotasana
Ashtanga Rishi Approach, sixth day Supta vajrasana to Ardha Matsyendrasana
Ashtanga Rishi Approach, Seventh Day  Eka pada sirsasana to Tittibhasana C

Rishi series made from asana named after Rishi An alternative take on the Rishi series

See also Srivatsa Ramaswami's December 2012 newsletter for more on the Rishis

The Ashtanga Rishi approach, Seventh Day (2nd series).

Sury A x3 / Sury  B x 3

Ardha badha padma paschimottanasana (25  breaths each side) Added this as a preparation for the LBH asana to come.

Eka pada Sirsasana A & B (25 breaths each in A and B and each side). Spent a little extra time trying to get a deeper placement in preparation for the longer stay. Haven't practiced 4th series for a while so my Buddhasana has left me and I can't get my leg as far down the shoulder as I used to. Eka pada A was comfortable enough (especially on the second side) but B is tough as your having your face squished between your knee and the foot behind your head, more irritating than anything else. on the second side, I included a quick Purvottanasana between A and b to stretch out the neck. Fifty breaths in A would be OK with improved leg placement but I'm not sure about B.

Dwi pada sirsasana (25 breaths) Still haven't worked out how Sharath manages to keep his legs so far apart on-off the neck, i think it's something to do with the placement of the second foot as if he gets it furth down the first leg, I have a go at it here but still haven't managed it. the 25 breaths felt OK but I'm hunched not looking up and seem to get a little more hunched as time goes on.

Yoga Nidrasana (50 breaths). I was looking forward to this, it's sleeping yogi, yu should be able to stay for a considerable time. It felt comfortable. I was expecting circulation problems but it was fine and I could probably have stayed for twice as long. dristi was the back of my eyelids.



Tittibhasana A (25 breaths). I normally point my legs up higher for this but went for a more horizontal position thinking it would be better for the wrists. As Arm balances go it's quite secure perhaps because you have the counterweight of your feet and backside, could probably stay longer but 25 seems plenty for an arm balance. the Titthibhasana series has always been a weak area for me, haven't worked out to jump my arms as far around my arm as I'd like.

Tittibhasana B (50 breaths). Fifty, but short ones. Don't think I've ever posted a video of this one, bit embarrassed or at least self-conscious about it, have never seemed to be able to straighten my legs enough and get my body through. So I was surprised to notice halfway through that I was pretty deep and had a very clear view of my ...mula bandha, perhaps the long stays in the previous postures have paid off. Again, had expected circulation problems because of the bind but either I've worked it out now or it's not such an issue in this particular bind.

Tittibhasana B walk (50 steps). Was feeling playful, how can you not with this charming but ridiculous  asana so went for fifty steps, ten up ten down etc.

Tittibhasana C (50 breaths). My least favorite asana in any series, give me 50 breaths in Kapo any day.



Sarvangasana (50 breaths).

Sirsasana (50 breaths).
-----------------------------------------------------
To reiterate the plan. The idea is to run through the Primary and Second series with the Ashtanga breath, equal inhalation and exhalation, take a note of how long I'm staying in the asana and then revisit the asana with the Vinyasa krama breathing. Here I'll reduce the number of breaths by lengthening the inhalation and especially the exhalation and employing breath retention where appropriate. So the same time in the pose but perhaps half or a quarter the number of breaths. This seems a more interesting approach to me than just staying in the asana for 25-50 breaths, if we're going to be in the posture that long it seems to make sense to explore the breath as fully as possible.


UPDATE
Not sure what it was about that practice this morning, something to do with the foot pressing against the back of my head but I've been feeling triply all day. Pranayama was buzzy, meditation Janaesque and I had a craving for a coke afterwards that had me heading off up the road to get a caffeine fix and something cold and fizzy .

Just finished my evening practice, 2nd series up Supya ardha matsyendrasana, some more pranayama and a short sit and still ....tingly. What's that all about.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha. Titti C is my favorite! It's the big SQUEEEZE.

Grimmly said...

You like really? I think i just don't do it well, have you covered it yet megan in your asana of the week series?

Unknown said...

No, I have not done Titti as the AOW yet, not sure mine is quite worthy of demonstration. Maybe once I get my heels together, I'll snap the photo and write it up. I do really love this posture, though. I always come out of it feeling like I have more space to breathe.

DeborahS said...

Oh I so dislike it. I'll have to trust Megan that it gets better.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.