Sunday, 19 August 2012

Ardha baddha padma eka pada raja kapotasana ?

OK, I know I mentioned this week that I wasn't that into the slinky advanced asana of late but this one's different, no really.

2nd series this morning and I tend to include Eka pada raja kapotasna after regular kapo, just because I love the posture, such a classic, and it feels really good.

Recently I saw this variation, on fb I think, couldn't resist giving it a try.

If anyone knows the picture I'm referring to or if it's their picture, I'd love to post it here as it's a hell of a lot more elegant than my version, but at least this will give you the idea.

Never seen this before the picture I'm referring to, it's not in Dharma Mittra's book or Iyengar's Light on Yoga and yet when your in it it seems to make so much sense.

So you go into eka pada raja kapotasana as usual but then reach around, with the right hand and take hold of the toes of the right foot.

Once you settle and allow the different forces to balance each other out, it feels quite stable and a nice place to explore the breath.


oh and the other leg

But what the heck do we call it?

Update 1
Thanks to HD and AC for these two


Prana Vashya Yoga caption should read Baddha Eka Pada Raja Kapottasana


Update 2
Boodie asked about eka pada kapotasana in the comments. It comes up in Vinyasa Krama Meditative sequence as well as Advanced B Ashtanga


This one is from a while ago, not sure I have the nerve to do it at the moment. Don't like it much, highly unstable and quite terrifying dropping back into it let alone coming back up.

14 comments:

Boodiba said...

Have you ever tried Eka Pada Kapo? I haven't but I'm curious, though it seems like it'd be hard to balance. That'd be especially true if you were to go into it in the Ashtanga way, I'd think. Judging from my Sweeney book that means the extended leg would be out and straightened before the bend and grab.

Grimmly said...

Yes Boodi, it comes up in Vinyasa Krama in the meditative sequence. First time I tried it was on Ramaswami's TT course. The leg is bent in the VK version. I did the Ashtanga version too when I was exploring advanced B ( picture on my fb asana album I think ). Don't like it, highly unstable and scary as hell dropping back into the kapo bit. Try it your covered by British national health service this week.

Brianna Nash said...

I'll get there one day.... Looks like quite an interesting posture though. Wish I could be of help with the naming portion.

Anonymous said...

A very similar posture appears in the coffee-table picture book "Yoga" published by Yoga Journal. However, instead of wrapping the arm behind the back to catch the toe, Lauren Peterson wraps the arm around the front of the body. The asana is referred to only as a variation of Gherandasana.

Anonymous said...

i take that back, above--just looked at your picture again. I see that you are in a different asana--not Gherandasana at all.

Grimmly said...

Must have been looking wrong way up Anon, pretty much the same as Gherandasan except it's no horizontal and on my belly

Claudia said...

Looks wonderful! you seem so peaceful in it too...

Grimmly said...

Hi Claudia, yes, it's so stable with that bind that you can really relax into it, my new all time favourite asana.

Grimmly said...

Boodie, found the scary eka pada kapo pic, added it to the post.

Boodiba said...

I can imagine it WOULD feel unstable, dropping back like that. I mean... I remember Venki style, sorta lunge backbends with one leg forward. In that case the forward leg is bent the whole time & that was unstable enough.

I considered trying it today after my EPRK and thought, "Naaa." That's the reaction I tend to have!

Boodiba said...

Maybe I'll feel like trying it tomorrow. I'll let you know! I mean it can't be worse than tick tocks right? And I used to do those.

I wonder if I'd be doing them right now if I hadn't let Christopher spook me. I'll try to start again in Sept, just in case Kino wants 'em.

Anonymous said...

If I ever manage this most beautiful pose I'm sure I'll die a happy camper....

Unknown said...

Namasthe,
The position is called Baddha (bound) Eka Pada Raja Kapottasana. There seems to be a mistake done while uploading the photo and their names.
Vinay Kumar,
Prana Vashya Yoga Shala,
Mysore.

Grimmly said...

Thank you for the clarification Vinay...and for the inspiration.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.