![]() |
| I'm guessing another Paul Brunton Photo of Krishnamacharya |
7am is the cut off point, wherever I happen to be in the series I'll stop there and move on to finishing,
7:30 Pranayama, 8:00 pratyahara and meditation, don't need to leave the house for work until nine.
If I manage to get on the mat by 6am then I can do a full practice, any earlier and I can add some more longer stays and the odd variation or repeat. later than 6 and I wield the knife.
I always aim to get on the mat at 5:30 (I wake up at five, Cuban espresso, make M's lunch etc).
I find I have little interest recently in looking beyond 2nd (could quite happily stick with Primary up to kapo I think), was fun exploring Advanced A and B, learning the slinky asanas but I don't have much interest in practicing them at the moment, well perhaps a couple where they're an obvious extension of something in Primary or 2nd if I have the time.
It feels like I have plenty of postures to be going on with, more than enough, more interested in exploring those a little further than collect more.
We go through phases, this one feels particularly healthy.
Wish I could be the same with books, feel like selling everything other than Aranya's Patanjali commentary and just work with that for a couple of years, but succumbed to Amazon and it's cheap 'used' element yet again, Avalon's The Serpent Power and Briggs' Gorakhnath and the Kanphata Yogis, couple of quid each, bargin.
Ramaswami wrote something interesting to me this week. I'd asked him for clarification re the breath, wanted to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting him in a post. I added the full comment to the Ujjayi post but this is the bit that's been dancing around in my mind, especially the last sentence (my highlighting).
"Even as Sri TK uses the terms rechaka kumbhaka and pura kumbhaka in asanas these may be considered as facilitators of the movements and postures and effect enhancers rather than pranayamas. Usually the term pranayama is used when the regular seated breathing exercise is practised. But Sri TK used breath judiciously to facilitate and enhance effects of asanas and vinyasas". Srivatsa Ramaswami
...'to facilitate and enhance the effects of asanas and vinyasas'.
I like that.
So I seem quite content to just work my way through Primary, employing some freemanology* in the asana, picking a different one or two each day to stay in longer, then just move on to pranayama etc.
There doesn't seem an issue any longer concerning whether I'm practicing Ashtanga or Vinyasa Krama, early of late Krishnamacharya. I seem to have slipped into a frame of mind where the distinctions no longer seem to matter, they all appear to have merged into each other somehow. If look I can see the early and late focus of Krishnamacharya's teaching in Ashtanga, not explicit but there all the same and thus able to be brought out a little and I've always thought Ashtanga was a Vinyasa Krama practice anyway, Primary and 2nd especially. In fact my Vinyasa Krama practices always ended up looking like ashtanga, especially when tight for time.
All it takes is just a little flexibility, some elbow room and perhaps to have been practicing long enough that you can relax into the practice a little more, practice calmly and give the breath it's due.
And as for archeology, fascinating but in the end it probably doesn't matter, there is something marvellous here even if it was merely a glorious accident of time, place and circumstance.
Blog strikes me recently me as revealing a relationship with a practice, a getting to know...
*Freemanology (my word) : Richard Freeman's approach to asana, exploring,...following, the breath, directing it, the attention, here and/or there, savouring......rather than being so concerned about how to get into a posture, more about where to go once your in it.
While I'm talking about the practice I was thinking too that there perhaps should be that pause, an intake and letting out of the breath before getting on the mat. Always an act of will and intention perhaps, isn't that what make it a discipline, a ......ritual(?) with it's many connetations.
Tapas (austerities)?A little yes, but too much of a tapas focus to practice isn't ideal perhaps. Patanajali writes about alternative ways (alternatives to yoga i.e.. concentration) to reach a degree of samadhi. Tapas is placed there alongside drugs, he's a bit dismissive no?
4.1 The subtler attainments come with birth or are attained through herbs, mantra, austerities or concentration.
(janma osadhi mantra tapah samadhi jah siddhyayah) From Swamiji's online YS

6 comments:
Re: "Tapas (austerities)?A little yes, but too much of a tapas focus to practice isn't ideal perhaps."
I was fortunate to receive a large package of books this morning direct from the Kapil Math, founded by the late Swami Hariharananda Aranya, including The Samkhya Catechism, Epsitles of a Samkhya-Yogin, Progressive and Practical Samkhya-Yoga, among others. As I've been fervently paging through the books today, I came across something cogent re: your comment above. In Appendix D of the book "The Way to Eternal Peace," Dr Surama Dasgupta writes on "The Concept of Tapas": "It is clear that Tapas or Tapasya does not mean merely a life of rigid asceticism or barren self-denial. The spiritual man establishes full mastery over his impulses and passions and at every step he gets an insight into his higher self which becomes brighter, clearer and richer. Tapas thus involves both positive and negative aspects, self-denial and self-enrichment. It is a two-fold process which carries a man forward on the path of his self-discover."
Hello Anon, quite excited to hear that you received books direct from kapil math. there are several books of there's I've been trying to find outside of India or through Vedic books etc. hadn't seriously considered going direct. How did you go about it, did you order by email and ten send a check, pay by card? and how long did they take to arrive.
Thank you for the quote on tapas, interesting. My own mention of it was because I think in Ashtanga we tend to focus on the taps aspect a little too much at times. As you say there are positive and negative aspects.
Thanks again for your comment.
Yes, it was very easy and quick to order directly from the Kapil Math. The books were mailed on 7/28 and I received them yesterday (California).
You may send your order request to kapilmath@yahoo.com
It's also useful to send your mailing address at the same time, so they can calculate the postage and invoice you. They will send the books via Registered Parcel post. My package of books was hand-sewn within white muslin cloth and I was sent an email as well as a handwritten letter from the Math in advance to let me know when the books were shipped. Very cool.
You can pay via PayPal, too, which makes the whole experience as easy as purchasing books through Amazon, only without the personal touches... I highly recommend supporting the Math by buying direct from them. If I ever get over to India, it will be one of my destinations.
That sounds great, and paypal too, perfect. just been going through and deciding which to get this time and which to put off. Can't decide about the Samkhya catechism and the Doctrine of Karma, whether to include them this time around or not. Was shipping expensive?
The Samkhya Catechism is included in "Progressive and Practical Samkhya Yoga," so there is no need to get it on its own, although I did.
"A Unique Travelogue" is nice as it affords a window into Aranya's life and experiences.
I did not buy the Doctrine of Karma, due to the price. I will purchase in the future, however.
"Epistles of a Samkhya-Yogin" and "Progressive and Practical Samkhya Yoga," and "The Way to Eternal Peace" are definitely recommended. I can scan the table of contents for you, if interested in any of these books.
Shipping for the $40 worth of books I bought was $20, for a total payment of $60. However, I did not mind paying this due to their unique focus.
Thanks for that anon, pretty much the ones I was thinking about but now I can leave out the catechism and get doctrine of Karma, thanks for telling me. postage doesn't sound too bad
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.