Thursday, 23 August 2012

Kino : Padmasana, getting into it then Jumping back from it...oh and jumping into it. Also complete VK Lotus sequence

...and now, after the last couple of posts, something a little lighter.

Kino posted a video on jumping back from full lotus this week,

but before that I thought I'd add her videos on getting into half (first video) and then full lotus (second video) safely.

Next up (the third video ) is her easy jumping back from lotus tutorial followed by her new jumping back fully from lotus (fourth video)

The fifth video is one of mine from a while back, I'd seen that old B&W Iyengar/Krishnamacharya documentary footage where Iyengar jumps into lotus and wanted to give it a try.

Also added, the full Vinyasa Krama lotus sequence and flipping the legs into lotus hands free.




    

And another one from Kino just posted, this time on getting into lotus while in headstand



Ok what else....

more pointless asana party tricks

Trying to get into lotus without hands...

...and getting the hang of it ( thanks to Chris and Wyatt for showing me how to do this)



...and while we're on the subject, here's the complete Vinyasa Krama lotus sequence.

or there's my Vinyasa Krama practice book which has the same stuff in it.
The book doesn't work so well on kindle itself but it's OK on the Kindle app for ipad (bigger screen and you can zoom in).

And Krishnamacharya himself demonstrating some padmasana vinyasas

2 comments:

ExuberantBodhisattva said...

Hi Grimmly! Thanks so much for posting this. I have just started working on hands-free lotus sitting down, (as opposed to just upside down). I feel like this "look ma, no hands" version is a wonderful way to isolate the hip rotation. Most mishaps I have had with lotus in the past have involved pulling the wrong part of my foot to get it in the right place. I have always felt that jumping into lotus looks so magical. One of those things that would complete my life if you know what I mean. Not sure how to start that. Or even to get the seated hands free lotus as smooth as yours. But thanks so much for the inspiration! -Erica.

Grimmly said...

hi Erica, hanks. if you go to my Youtube page I have a couple of no hands lotus videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/grimmly2007/videos?query=no+hands+lotus
There are two there of Chris and Wyatt who were showing my how to do it in the dorm room while on Ramaswami's course a couple of years back, there's also a colour one of me first trying to get to grips with it.

Truth be told I didn't practice it that much , just a few times spread out here and there when I happened to remember it.

I found just doing one leg for a bit, snapping the right foot up into the groin a few times and then doing just the left. When I do them both together I seem to rock back a little on my sitting bone...no idea if that helps : )
I like how Krishnamacharya does it in utpluthi, and i like his playful smile as he does it.

It's a full on decent Kandasana that would 'complete me', I can kind of do but it only barely counts.
http://youtu.be/zBx69xd0y8Y

Not that bothered about fancy asana these days but I do still get kandasana envy.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.