A friend was asking about suggestions for pushing up to Urdhva Dhanurasana with problem wrists.
Seems holding onto a teachers ankles works but what to do when there's no teacher around.
Not sure if this will help but I remembered my old push up grips/bars that I had bought to work on my jump back and thought they might be an option.
Had to hunt around for them this morning but managed to find them buried away under the chinchilla sand.
![]() |
| Link to Amazon.co.uk |
You have to be careful as one side of the bar wants to lift up when you first push down but once aware of that it's possible to avoid it.
Another option is perhaps coming up onto a fist.
Not sure I recommend either of these but it might be something to consider as a work around to an old wrist injury.
I Know I know, feet are pointing out when I came up, wasn't thinking about them and slipped back into old habits.
Was VERY tempted to try dropping back on to them, perhaps I'm getting old but discretion won out over valour or at least plain foolishness.
Just found the OLD jump back with Nike grips video from May 2008, think I'd been practicing, what, a year? Apologies for the quality, this was taken on an old phone.
These were great actually, used them for a month or so, allowed me to work on some of the other elements of the jump back without having to worry too much about the lift. Found them useful later too when I tried the straight leg jump through on the smooth bathroom floor with socks on, video of that too somewhere....


6 comments:
In Iyengar classes, you use a couple of blocks pushed against the wall, which is a pretty good surrogate for ankles -- and they don't move around!
is the problem just with wheel?
come up by coming first the to the crown of the head, then re-align your arms so they are parallel can help to help avoid splaying out the arms when you come all the way up. my teacher pointed out to me that having having more weight in the legs - and coming up so that the chest is more in line with the arms (if this is possible) helps. as does other tricks like turning the feet out some to get the legs to feel more active, which again puts less stress on the wrists.
this article by wild yogi -
http://wildyogi.info/node/862
shows the issues with backbend alignment.
personally, i am not a fan of blocks against the wall..very unstable feeling when i have done it in classes.
i mean wrist issues in backbends
Thank you Rene, Suzanne, her problem is with a damaged tendon that won't allow weight bearing with wrist flexion, seems holding onto the teachers ankles works which is what got me thinking about the grips.
lift should be equal at all times across hands and feet, such that the lift happens as if the navel is being lifted up with a string. too much weight on wrists or ankles will strain the body.
I don't think I would recommend coming up with fists... Blocks against the wall are a good option but not if she can't flex her wrists.
They do make yoga blocks with handles across the middle that are excellent for people with wrist issues. I have a friend with major wrist issues who uses them for downward dog and they're great - and also great for practicing jump-throughs!
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.