Three rather wonderful fb status updates from Ramaswami on the Yoga Sutras this week. I thought about sharing the first here, thought about it again when the second came in but certainly couldn't resist after the third, my favourite of the three, came in this afternoon.
1.
"Understanding yogasutras may not be difficult, but to make it the 'default' way of thinking thereafter may not be easy....Oh the samskaras". Srivatsa Ramaswami
2.
" “Patanjali wrote the Yogasutras for me, me in mind, for my welfare, for my good, for my permanent freedom”. A yogi may study the sutras with this attitude and not merely as an academic, intellectual exercise to enable one to score a few debating points here and there. For, it is a profound 'Adhyatma Vidya' a body of knowledge about oneself, one's own Self". Srivatsa Ramaswami
3.
"Once my niece asked me “Sankara, Ramanuja, Madhva—these acharyas interpreted the same Brahma Sutras differently in their advaita, visishtadvaita and dvaita schools of philosophy. Obviously only one of them should be correct, which one is right? Doesn't it also mean that the other two cannot be called acharyas ?”. But then it is for everyone-- if interested – to find out for oneself which is correct by study of their works and by introspection. Further there may not be such great difference among them, it could be the difference in emphasis. There is a very interesting saying from the profound Tamil work “Tirukkural” ”yepporul yaryarvaiketpinum apporul maipporul kanbadu aruvu” Whatever is said by whomsoever, wisdom lies in 'seeing' the underlying truth (by oneself, for oneself). It is so with Yoga, with so many interpretations by ancient and contemporary yogis. I have to strive, keep on improving my understanding until I am sure I have understood it seen it. Even then, I may be willing to change my views at any time if I am presented with or come across a more convincing interpretation.
Anyone agrees?" Srivatsa Ramaswami
1 comment:
True words
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.