![]() |
| exit from Utkatasana: nava- up on the inhale, lift up |
![]() |
| exit from Virabhadrasana: dwadasha, inhale, lift up |
Sharath posted a 'tutorial' on Uttkatasana and Virabhadrasana this morning, I suspect he has a bee in his bonnet (bee reference for M.) about the lifts at the end, he does seem to come back again and again to these neglected lifts.
The video above is actually the corrected version, the first version was taken down it seems because of an error in the count.
![]() |
| Sorry Sharath |
But they are there in Yoga Mala....
"Then doing recheka and puraka, press the hands to the floor by the sides of the feet, put the whole weight of the body on the two hands, and lift the body off the floor" p63
And here it is Virabhadrasana
"Next, place place the hands on the floor on either side of the right foot and, without allowing the legs to touch the floor, lift both the left leg and bent right leg completely off the floor with only the strength of the hands; this is the 11th vinyasa". p67
"This is the 11th vinyasa", we might try to pass the Uttkatasana lift off as' style' but here the lift gets a vinyasa count of it's very own, no excuses (hangs head).
Some screenshots of Sharath's and his grandfather's Virabhadrasana from Yoga Mala, Pattabhi Jois has a much wider stance.
But, you might exclaim, the picture of Pattabhi Jois is from his Surynamaskara pictures, true but the text does say that it's the same
"Next stand as in the 7th vinyasa of the second suryanamaskara..."
Same goes for Uttkatasana
"Jump into the 2nd vinyasa of the first Surya Namaskars..."
Manju said something interesting about Virabhadrasana, this was from a workshop a few days after the one I attended and passed on to me by J. (Thank you J.).
"He (Manju) also told me in Virabhadrasana that the back leg should feel so grounded that you can lift the front leg up in a kick—and the true warrior of old would take this stance for fighting to free the front leg for that kick".
*******
We should be careful of course reading too much into pictures, I've taken screenshots from my videos that aren't perhaps the best presentation of my asana just close enough ("they'll do"). Interestingly though, Krishnamacharya, in Yoga Makaranda makes a point of point of saying in several places "study the picture carefully", he seems to have been happy with his pictures, how I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at that photoshoot.
I have this fantasy of Manju adjusting his father's Virabhadrasana and Utkatasana
....and nightmares about what Iyengar might have to say about them ( and my own for that matter).
While on the topic of Sharath video's here's Sharath's Pranayama tutorial from earlier in the month.There seemed to be a big hush around this video, usually everyone goes nuts about Sharath clips, this one though received barely a mention, confusion?
And two last thoughts about about 'the little differences'....
![]() |
| Bumble bee combe |
![]() |
| Honey bee combe |
APPENDIX
THE OTHER VIDEO
So a couple of hours after Sharath's video was released it was taken down again but by then I'd already written this post. It seems the video was taken down because of an error in the count. I'd posted a copy of the video and went on to transcribe it in an update to better identify where the error had crept in.
Now, what to do. I could delete the whole section, posting the corrected version and pretend it never happened or I could post the corrected version and include that whole section concerning the first video here perhaps as a demonstration of how and why the confusion in these vinyasa can comes about..
Here it is...
Yesterday I saw the video early, posted on Sharath's own Youtube channel ( same as the pranayama video below). I started writing this post and downloaded the video to put on my ipad to work with at the end of my practice. After practice I finished this post but couldn't find the video anywhere. I thought (hoped) it was just a glitch so included my own version but still didn't really feel comfortable about it. This morning I checked and the video still wasn't up on Sharath's site and my blog stats had gone through the roof for this post. So I've decided to take the video down, at least until Sharath reposts (NB: Now the confusion as to why it was taken down seems to be cleared up, the mistake with the count, I've decided to repost it it below the transcript).
Here though is the general outline of the video, the important bits
Short chant
A hello and an intro, says that he's presenting a short video on utkatasana and virabhadrasana as many students are confused about the vinyasa for these two vinyasas.
Says he will show the proper vinyasa
Utkatasana
supta - jump (between hands) bend your knees hands up ( all on the inhalation)
breathe five times here
again inhale
with the exhale place both hands - ashta
nava- up on the inhale, lift up ( see screenshot above)
dasha - exhale ( back to chaturanga)
Virabhadrasana
ekaadesha exhale place both hands next to your feet
dwadasha, inhale, lift up (see screenshot above )
triodasha exhale ( back to chatuaranga)
"This is how utkatasana and virabhadrasana should be practiced".
"namaste"
UPDATE 2
It's been suggested that Sharath slipped up with the count in the video (easily done) and that's why it was taken down NB: Have reposted it below now the confusion seems to be cleared up).
Here's the full transcription,
Short chant
"Hello everyone, this is a small video about utkatasana and virabhadrasana.
Many students are confused with the vinyasa for these two asanas. Through this video I would like to share and show you the proper vinyasa for these two asanas.
First I will start with utkatasana then followed by virabhadrasana.
ekam - inhale
dve - exhale
trini - head up
chatwari - jump back ( jumps back) exhale
pancha - inhale
shat - exhale
supta - jump (between hands) bend your knees, hands up.
breathe five times here
inhale,
with an exhale keep (place) both hands - astau
nava - lift up
dasha - (jumps back) exhale
ekadesha - inhale (updog)
dwadesha - exhale (downdog)
Virabhadrasana
supta - place right leg, take up your hands, breathe five times....again inhale
with an exhale turn the other side - astau.
breathe five times here.
nava - inhale spread your hands
dont change this knee
breathe five times
again inhale
with an exhale turn the other way - dasha
breathe five times here
ekadesha - with an exhale place both hands next to your feet
dwadesha - with an inhale lift up
triodesha exhale (jumps back)
chataudesha inhale (up dog )
panchadesha exhale (downdog)
supta - jump through
sit down
This is how utkatasana and Virabhadrasana should be practiced".
*******
I've highlighted the areas where the mix up happened
And now we've cleared up why it was taken down perhaps, it see no reason not to repost it.
and here's what Sharath probably intented Utkatasana and Virabhadrasana from Sharath's Primary series.
which ties in with Sharath's recent book Astanga Yoga Anusthana
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------









20 comments:
the vinyasas!! I am so confused now.....
I Know!
I was confused about the jump into utkatasana, for example, for the longest time. My own feeling on the vinyasas are that they ( the vinyasas) are certain formal positions in the sequence in and out of the asana. I figure you can stop at pretty much any point, on any one of those positions and take as many breaths as you wish as long as you move on to the next position on the appropriate inhalation or exhalation. So, if you were masochistic, you could perhaps stay for 5,8,108 breaths in Virabhadrasana's 11th vinyasa. many of course would disagree but I have Krishnamacharya on my side I think on this.
the alignment hurts my eyes. wow.
Where did you find the original video? I couldn't find it on YouTube or anywhere!
it's been taken down.
Hi Kino. : )
As Anon says below it's been taken down. I'd downloaded it to to put on my ipad to work with at the end of practice and half written the post. When I came back later to finish the post I couldn't find it either, hoped it was just a glitch so posted with this version. Keep hoping it's going to be reposted, if not i should probably take this down too.
"While on the topic of Sharath video's here's Sharath's Pranayama tutorial from earlier in the month.There seemed to be a big hush around this video, usually everyone goes nuts about Sharath clips, this one though received barely a mention, confusion?"
.... Maybe everyone that respects his teaching just got on and incorporated it in their practice, and took benefit from it.
Have taken down the video with this Update
UPDATED Sharath's Uttkatasana and Virabhadrasana video also Sharath's Pranayama tutorial.
"Earlier I showed my copy of Sharath's video here.
Yesterday I saw the video early, posted on Sharath's own Youtube channel ( same as the pranayama video below). I started writing this post and downloaded the video to put on my ipad to work with at the end of my practice. After practice I finished this post but couldn't find the video anywhere. I thought (hoped) it was just a glitch so included my own version but still didn't really feel comfortable about it. This morning I checked and the video still wasn't up on Sharath's site and my blog stats had gone through the roof for this post. So I've decided to take the video down, at least until Sharath reposts.
Here though is the general outline of the video, the important bits
Short chant
A hello and an intro, says that he's presenting a short video on utkatasana and virabhadrasana as many students are confused about the vinyasa for these two vinyasas.
Says he will show the proper vinyasa
Utkatasana
supta - jump (between hands) bend your knees hands up ( all on the inhalation)
breathe five times here
again inhale
with the exhale place both hands - ashta
nava- up on the inhale, lift up ( see screenshot above)
dasha - exhale ( back to chaturanga)
Virabhadrasana
ekaadesha exhale place both hands next to your feet
dwadasha, inhale, lift up (see screenshot above )
triodasha exhale ( back to chatuaranga)
"This is how utkatasana and virabhadrasana should be practiced".
"namaste"
That wouldn't explain why they (we) don't do the same about his other videos Steve, this one on Utkatasana/Virabhadrasana for example.
It was your link to the video (when it was up) that I saw yesterday morning, thanks for sharing it. Have taken the video down from here until Sharath reposts it (assuming/hoping he does). I shouldn't have posted it in the first place but was having too much fun writing the post.
Fight for the kernel and not for the shell
Yes, I took it off of my facebook wall because it wouldn't run once he'd removed it from YouTube. You now have a very rare video then Tony! But, that said, it wasn't really offering up anything that isn't noticeable on his full primary dvd.
A friend tells me the count is wrong. Maybe that's why it was taken down
Happens to the best of us...will transcribe the full thing tonight so we can have a look. I didn't study it carefully but there seemed to be something strange about the Utkatasana...
the error in the video is reflected in your screenshots text, its not "exit from Utkatasana: nava- up on the inhale, lift up" its astou and its not "exit from Virabhadrasana: dwadasha, inhale, lift up" its ekadasha. thanks for the video, but let's pretend it didn't happen we're all human.
Here's the full transcription,
Short chant
"Hello everyone, this is a small video about utkatasana and virabhadrasana.
Many students are confused with the vinyasa for these two asanas. Through this video I would like to share and show you the proper vinyasa for these two asanas.
First I will staert with utkatasana then followed by virabhadrasana.
ekam - inhale
dve - exhale
trini - head up
chatwari - jump back ( jumps back) exhale
pancha - inhale
shat - exhale
supta - jump (between hands) bend your knees, hands up.
breathe five times here
inhale,
with an exhale keep (place) both hands - astau
nava - lift up
dasha - (jumps back) exhale
ekadesha - inhale (updog)
dwadesha - exhale (downdog)
Virabhadrasana
supta - place right leg, take up your hands, breahte five times....again inhale
with an exhale turn the other side - astau.
breathe five times here.
nava - inhale spread your hands
dont change this knee
breathe five times
again inhale
with an exhale turn the other way - dasha
breathe five times here
ekadesha - with an exhale place both hands next to your feet
dwadesha - with an inhale lift up
triodesha exhale (jumps back)
chataudesha inhale (up dog )
panchadesha exhale (downdog)
supta - jump through
sit down
This is how utkatasana and Virabhadrasana should be practiced".
I think we are all very fortunate that he is taking the step to teach through You Tube. It's a big step to clarify the practice to everyone in the West who has at times made it seemed like they might know more, or can deliver it better than the Guru himself. Let's all have some respect and hope he continues. Carry on and practice.
Yes thought it was nice that he was exploring Youtube but then there is always the nagging feeling for me that Sharath is seeking to impose authority, that THIS is the only correct way to practice. I've felt that he has been dismissive on several occasions of senior, experienced teachers. But perhaps that's unfair.
"...can deliver it better than the Guru himself"
Not sure the definite article collocates with guru, shouldn't it rather be 'my' guru.
In an Indian family for instance a family of five might have five different guru's.
I respect Sharath as a long term practitioner, for the time he spent with His Grandfather and for the hard work he does but I personally wouldn't refer to him as a guru, certainly not 'my guru'.
Interestingly on this point, Manju doesn't even like 'teacher' he says he prefers 'messenger', just sharing what he was taught.
Hi Anthony,
Sharath has said extensively that he does not consider himself a guru, and only a student. In fact, a guru never calls himself a guru. That is only a name..a concept, a form, that a student imposes on an individual. When you examine this issue from parampara, Sharath, like Manju, David, Tim, Lino, et al, are simply teaching as they have been taught by Guruji. That in and of itself is so beautiful. And we obviously recognize the inherent issues that may arise from this. But those issues are mere argumentative manifestations that we choose to selectively harp on. In the end, Ashtanga prepares us for the ultimate Union. That is all.
Sharath, was obviously groomed by Guruji to lead and share his teachings from the perspective of the KPJAYI. In one of his talks, he reminisced on how he would bike over to the Shala at 2am to practice while his Grandfather sat beside him, working with him, adjusting him, and so forth. No one will ever have that special connection to Guruji, nor all..those..years..practicing, learning, and teaching alongside him. 20+ years? Day in and day out. That is very special.
Just my .2 cents! And a big congratulations for "breaking" the story, I mean, video yesterday! I felt like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for that video to load on your blog :)
I hear you Lu and I'm really not looking to irritate anyone here on this, like I said I have a lot of respect for Sharath, as I do for anyone who has practiced as long as he has and with such dedication as well as working so tirelessly. Can only imagine what it must have been like for him being put in the situation of losing his grandfather, his teacher, and then having to take over and run the place.
"When you examine this issue from parampara, Sharath, like Manju, David, Tim, Lino, et al, are simply teaching as they have been taught by Guruji. That in and of itself is so beautiful. And we obviously recognize the inherent issues that may arise from this. But those issues are mere argumentative manifestations that we choose to selectively harp on."
Well said.
all of this was really fun to read. thank you. I start to follow this blog.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.