Tuesday tapas Update
Relates to the one month to chakra bhandasana project
Another update/progress report on One month Chakra Bhandasana challenge - Missed the boat?
and here
Backbends - Progress report One month to Chakra Bhandasana challenge plus 108 drop backs.
and here, the original post
Chakra Bhandasana - Grab heels in a month backbend challenge
If you remember, this project came about from seeing this video by Jen René Peg Mulqueen and Michael Joel Hall.
Watching this back I'm thinking, Michael isn't dropping back any closer than I am here
I think I might even be coming in a little deeper...
and yet he's still managing to reach in and grab his legs....although with a little help
My plan is to face the wall and rock forward and use that in place of Peg and friend
*
In the second part of the video Peg drops back to a full yoga block then spider walks her fingers towards her ankles and grabs them that way.
I've been working on dropping back much closer to the wall, looks like I'm still a couple of inches out...perhaps (wishful thinking she has a wider block than the books I'm using). I'm slightly amused by the part of my movie below where I put my feet nice and close to the block but by the time I've actually dropped back I've somehow shuffled them forward to where they are in this picture






5 comments:
Had planned on finishing off this post in the library this afternoon but the library computer isn't allowing me to update.
The last week I've been working on dropping back ever closer
I tried it to a bolster too, see the end of the video (OK a pile of books just ordered a bolster/block thing) as in Peg's video ( see the links ) the idea seems to be to drop back a little higher and then walk in so as to grab the legs.
This next week I''m going to try turning around to face the wall so I can rock forward a little without falling over ( this being a solo operation), drop back to a bolster and see how that works out.
i love how you break all this down!! so inspiring!!
Thank you Peg, got carried away with the screenshots, nothing unflattering i hope....there was one point I was going to message you to ask how wide your block was, in the hope it was wider than the stack of books I was using but no, checked half the blocks online in the US and they were the same dammnt : )
Hi Anthony, I stumbled upon your blog recently (it's good!) This post on chakra bhandasana (and other related ones) caught my eye. I've just started learning this, and the first few times I did it, it was such an intense experience! Don't know how to describe it, but it felt like trying to catch my ankles brought up many emotions, such that I was close to tears and I kept telling my teacher, "no, no".
Just wondering if you've experienced something like that? It wasn't like there's physical pain, so I think it's got to do with the mind. And some of my yogi friends have told me that backbends can be a very emotional experience, but I still don't understand why. Any advice to overcome this?
I also took many months to learn to drop back and get back up. Is there a certain length of time that we should practice drop-backs before attempting chakra bhandasana?
Any advice or sharing would be much appreciated! Thank you very much! :)
Just lost a long long comment to you on this grrrrr.
Basically i was saying that I've heard of it, of a connection between certain deep back bends and emotions coming up (Kapo is another one), heard of people feeling like they would throw up too.
There are lots of theories out there, that we hold deep emotions/memories in certain parts of our bodies, that thrusting our groin out and up affects or sexual emotions, that it's very vulnerable position etc..... everyone seems to latch on to their favourite theory and argue stongily for it but really, nobody knows. Personally I've never experienced anything other than restless/sleepless nights if I practice deep back bending in the evening, like having a late coffee.
Yes it can take a lot of time, years for some. Explore as many different techniques/approaches as you can, spend a little time on all of them but also allow it to come on it's own, work on it but don't rush it, practice safely. this video is excellent
http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/practicing-with-heather-mortons-back.html
good luck with it but most importantly have fun with it, enjoy the work.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.