Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Straight leg jump though's reappearance

A good old fashioned jump through post, feels like old times.


So I lost my straight legged jump through about six months ago back during the Kidney stones sage. Switched to a more delicate crossed leg Sharath style jump through.

And I was happy with that until stumbled across an old video of mine from a while back jumping through with straight legs and liked it, that little flick through, the tilt of your head as you try to work out how it's possible.

I remember my dear departed Dad telling me he'd watch Jumbo Jets take off and still hold his breath, just stand there in awe that such a massive chunk of metal could get off the ground...and he worked as an Air frame  and engines engineer at Heathrow Airport for over thirty years. he's take the ruddy things apart bolt by bolt and put them together again and still he had no idea how they got off the ground, he knew the theory but still that wonder.

Dad and I back in 2006 (pre yoga)

Feel a little like that about the straight leg jump through.

So I tried to get it back but perhaps I was trying too hard, my timing off all the different elements crashing up against each other but it would be clunky, clumsy, lacking in elegance


But hey, it came back, just like that.

Perhaps because I've been sick for a couple of days and feel only half with it, practicing to sweat out as much of this bug before Friday as possible, a little lighter, a little airy...



That's the straight leg jump through singing 'Remember me'
In a piece of music I haven't been able to get out of my head recently ,Dido’s Lament: When I am Laid in Earth” from Dido and Aeneas, by Henry Purcell


Perhaps it'll be gone again tomorrow

Another story about my father. Whenever I used to fly anywhere ( and I used to have all those cheap flights), just as were about to step on the plane there he'd be at the plane door and you'd know he'd checked the plane over himself. One trip I looked out the window and there he was walking slightly to the right and in front of the plane as it began to taxi. He had his earphones plugged into the side of the plane talking to the pilot and as he held the chord it looked to the world as if my mighty father was pulling that big hunk of metal along all by himself. Me, I was nudging the stranger next to me and pointing out the winder ' That's my Dad, that's my dad that is".

12 comments:

suzanne said...

love these stories about your dad :)
that sense of wonder should never leave us...

Unknown said...

Haha. Love that soundtrack with the video loop. Absurdist.
Performed that piece in high school. Haven't heard it in a while.

Unknown said...

Lovely stories about your dad, as well. Good writing.

Anonymous said...

sweet post, g, enjoyed it

Anonymous said...

On the cross leg version, how do you get your feet through without them snagging on your hand and mat? I feel I am nearly there and can skid through if my mat is sweaty but maybe need a bit more lift? Move the feet? Jump higher? What can I do :-(
B

Grimmly said...

Get yourself a manduka equal towel ( or a micro fibre towel off the internet and cut it to size, soft as a baby's bottom.
try this post, a video tutorial and see if it helps
http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/jump-back-prep-for-jessica-working.html

Grimmly said...

Thanks Megan, That lament 'remember me' must have taken me down memory lane a bit

Grimmly said...

I used to go to the airport with him as a kid just to watch the planes take off, back when you could get pretty close to the runway. He's have those things take off every couple of minutes while working yet he still never tire of watching them. He took me over Concord when it was first built, very proud going into school the next day.

James Fishwick said...

Try whipping your chin up and looking at the ceiling as you jump thru with straight legs. It really helps you get every bit of momentum and force out of the action, and makes for really soft controlled landings, as its not as a much of a shuddering halt as if you try to jump straight into a static l-sit. Tip from the one and only David Swenson.

Mike said...

I can understand your Dad's logic: "I might not understand how these things fly, but I do understand how to stop them falling apart, and if my son is going to be on one then I'm going to check the bloody thing myself." That's love that is.

You don't need me to tell you this but I'll say it anyway: You say in your previous post that you've never been one for the health benefits, but it only takes a picture like the one above of your pre-yoga self to make those benefits apparent. I'll vote for the post-yoga Grimley any day.

Grimmly said...

Thanks James, i do try to keep my head up...will try "whipping it up", good days bad days.

Grimmly said...

re the health benefits, of course I'm aware of them and appreciate how much healthier and fitter I am now from when i started. What I was trying to say is that that's not what I'm in this for, not concerned about it, more of a byproduct for me. this has always been for me more of a meditation exercise ( although I can see that they are connected).

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.