Update 2
I hosted this video on my Youtube channel back in 2014, as you can see below I was delighted to get to see it, I even mentioned that there was more 'intimacy' here than in the Yoga works videos from the same period. Watching it back now, following the recent articles and posts accusing Pattabhi Jois of sexual abuse (unwanted sexual touching and fondling ) I find that there is inappropriate touching on display here, see 17.03 minutes in.
There are several instances throughout the video where in the past we may perhaps have given Patabbhi Jois the benefit of the doubt but see the articles etc. in this post
In my own case I tried to understand it by wondering if perhaps this behaviour started after the passing of Pattabhi Jois' wife in 1997 but this video was from 1989 and we can't perhaps try to excuse it by suggestions early onset of dementia.
Now I find myself in a dilemma do I take down the video, and it looks like the other versions of the video have been taken down already (possibly to hide the behaviour) or leave it up as a document of his actions.
I heard this week that Sharath has supposedly commented on his grandfather's behaviour during Conference in Mysore, that Pattabhi Jois' behaviour was wrong and that people should speak up if they see examples of it in their shalas, we're still waiting for a similar strongly worded statement of condemnation from Sharath to be posted on the KPJAYI website.
UPDATE 1: This is priceless, just practiced along to it and there's more... intimacy here than in any of the other Pattabhi Jois Led video's I can think of. This must be what it was like to be in a Led with him.... minus the terror that he's coming to you next to adjust you in kapo. Perhaps because most of the other videos we have are of either demonstrations or large classes, big halls full of Ashtangi's. Here we have a nice size class of mixed ages and abilities and Pattabhi Jois is working the room. He had me in Kapo for what felt like ten minutes as he seemed to adjust everyone in the room....twice (OK, it just felt like twice). He seems to be well miked up and you can hear him give gentle words of encouragement and/or share a joke, I think he told Tim Miller to smile at one point in Yoga Nidrasana. He'll also barks across the room if you have your legs the wrong way round, doesn't miss a thing. Every now and again the heating seems to cut in and that affects the sound but it's only for a couple of minutes so stick with it.
Couple of things I noticed during practice, I think he did three A's five B's, he cuts to the series after Parsvottanasana. There was an eight count in Krounchasana and again in Ustrasana.... after that I was on survival mode and barely remember a thing, probably due to that 'ten' minute kapo.
New stitched together full series version of the video at bottom of post
Thank you Clifford Sweatte for sharing this with us.
Can anyone identify anyone else in the videos?
About Clifford Sweatte from his website http://www.pranaairways.com
Check out Clifford's gallery, some great pictures of a very young Manju Jois adjusting
Intermediate Ashtanga Yoga Practice taught by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois with practitioners Clifford Sweatte, Chuck Miller, Richard Freeman and Tim Miller in Solana Beach, CA November, 1989
Can anyone identify anyone else?
NEW Stitched together complete series version.




2 comments:
Anthony:
Thank you for your comments and for sharing the videos with a wider audience than the reach of my fledging Prana Airways website.
These videos allow the opportunity to see how Guruji dealt with many body types and the intensity he brought to class. I like to share with my classes that Guruji really did enjoy teaching all ages and body types including the elder, infirm or heavier students. For example, if a 65 year old would tell him they were too old for the practice, he would often reply, “Ha, 65! Not old, 65 young, you do” or “you try”. To him, yoga was therapy, he believed in the healing power of the system and expected results if one was willing to make the effort of daily practice.
There was nothing scripted about these sessions or Guruji’s methods other than the asana sequence and vinyasas. There were cameras in class snapping photos from time to time but video shoots were rare and unexpected for most of us. I was lucky enough to be with Guruji and Manju in that very first group in Cardiff-by-the-Sea where we spent months together long before they were known. Over the years, he taught me that just as we were all different as students, his teaching technique and demands would vary according to the student’s prana level and general condition. Guruji’s ability to read one’s Bandha status is something he could do in an instant and would often announce to the class: “no mula bandha” or “weak mula bandha”!
This spring another Advanced A video that has never been published will be posted to our website. It is similar to the intermediate video in that our small group didn’t know video cameras would greet us that day in a garage in Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii.
Best wishes to the next generation of Ashtanga students viewing these videos. Jump in and enjoy a practice session with Guruji!
Namaste,
Clifford
Thank you Clifford, it was the 'different ages and body types' in this video that made it such a pleasant surprise and intermediate series too. Interesting to hear a little about that first Cardiff-by-the-sea group, I've heard a little from Manju but could listen to stories of that time all day ( If you ever feel like writing a longer guest post). I look forward to seeing the Kealakekua Bay garage Advanced A video. Thank you again. Anthony
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.