NOTE: Blog address now begins grimmly1997. I've unpublished 80% of posts but retained, on request, the Krishnamacharya 'Research' posts. Comments are turned off, there are no blog "members". NOTE 2: If you have landed on the mobile page, you need to scroll down and click on web version to get all the stand alone pages on Krishnamacharya, Asana lists, Yogasanagalu, Proficient Primary etc.
Pages
- Home
- Yama and Niyama: Krishnamacharya, Jois, Ramaswami
- Asana Lists Inc. Original 1974 Ashtanga Syllabus
- Krishnamacharya resource page
- Slow Ashtanga PLUS Yoga Makaranda Part I and II
- Yoga Reading List
- How to practice Krishnamacharya's Early Ashtanga Yoga
- Krishnamacharya's Yogasanagalu (1941) (translation project)
- The Ashtanga Key - Surya Namaskara
- Srivatsa Ramaswami Vinyasa Krama Resource page
- How to meditate
- VINYASA KRAMA sequences/subroutines
- Free Downloads (Updated with more links)
- Proficient Primary.
- Chanting Yoga Sutras
- YOGA GLOSSARY
Friday, 4 November 2011
Getting into Purna Matsyendrasana
Just made a quick video of this to see if I could still do it (been awhile), needed to work out what it is I'm actually doing so I could describe it on the next Vinyasa Krama practice sheet.
Getting into Purna Matsyendrasana
This is my current approach.
We need a high, tight half lotus. I take my right leg back, rotating the femur head as far back as possible in the hip socket, similar to archer pose but without bringing the foot to the ear.
I like to have my heel to the right of my belly button before rotating the femur back around, bringing my knee back to centre and my foot big up above the groin, still keeping the heel close to the belly button.
Let the right leg and knee settle on the mat then, and here's the trick, lift up a little and lower slightly on the right of the right sit bone.
Take the left foot over the knee, the knee will be half way up the foot, you kneed to have it braced enough that it doesn't pop out of the bind later.
Bring the left knee over, now here's another trick, stretch up out of your pelvis, engage uddiyana sucking in your belly, the space made will allow your foot to point upwards allowing your knee to come further over.
At the same time fill the chest on the inhalation as you bring your knee over, almost holding the knee in place with your chest as you reach behind the knee bringing your right shoulder as far to the outside of the knee as possible.
This should enable you to slide your arm down the leg and grab your left foot.
Settle yourself, open up your body to the side, look over your shoulder and reach around behind your back with your left hand and hold your right hip bone.
Now it's just a case of balancing the three opposing forces, your left knee wanting to open to the left, your right arm pushing your knee to the right but bringing but wanting to turn the body to the right and your left arm and hand on your hip turning your body out to the left.
When you get them all balanced and settle the breath this really is one of the greatest of postures.
'art pour l'art
There are a couple of other postures that come to mind when I think of purna matsyendrasana, classic advanced asana, that are intricate but beautiful, Eka pada raja kapotasana is another, Kapotasana, Kandasana, Yoga dandasana perhaps, possibly Dwi pada sirsasana, Natrarajasana certainly and probably Durvasana on a stable day. With postures like those you shouldn't have to explain why you want to explore advanced asana.
6 comments:
Nice one! Love this film wth Bhagavan Das in the background and some noise which could be mistaken for the sound of an old film rolling, making the whole effect beautifully antique. Never attempted this asana, but such a clear description, good work! (^^)d
Thank you, I forgot about the Bhagavan Das CD had put it on while I practiced my evening 2nd, almost never have music on when I practice, liked it though, 70 minutes long too so perfect for an evening practice. My camera is getting noisy and it wound film in the B&W setting either, have to convert it ( kind of feel blank and white is a little more discrete when your half naked) need to get another one perhaps.
it's HARD describing asana.
interesting Tony, I tend to do this pose almost everyday. It surprises me that you don't do it often. I guess it doesn't come up in Ashtanga? Supposed to arouse Kundalini if i remember correctly. We need an LMU reunion someday to compare what we have all done with Ramaswami's teachings
Depends what I'm doing Wyatt, if I'm doing 2nd series ashtanga I'll often add this on top of 2nd's ardha matsyendrasana. My straight VK practices lately have tended to be short and simple mostly the core postures plus the subroutine I'm writing up on for the book mainly as prep for the longer pranayama and meditation I'm doing at the moment.
Your contributions and dedication are immense and I want you to know that I really look up to and admire you ... Thanks
Thanks Wyatt, appreciate it.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.