Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Sharath's jump through also few places left for Nancy Gilgoff's London Workshop in June

This short demo by Sharath is doing the rounds. He doesn't do demonstrations so often these days supposedly and most of the video's of him floating around (see what I did there) are a few years old, this then is a bit of a treat.

Thank you to Brenda Medina and her beYOGI blog for sharing it

By the way Brenda's blog has best image of the hand placement  in the Seven Headstand from 2nd series I've seen

A nice adhomukha padmasana, lowering down into a lotus version of mayurasana,

Now the fancy stuff is nice, but what I really like and why I'm posting the video is that delicate little jump through in the middle,  love that. I'll watch a fancy arm balance a couple of times and think "cool" but give me a seemingly effortless float through every time, will be watching that bit again and again.



So here's the jump through again...and again, the third time is in slow motion.



Satya mentioned, in comments, Sharath's jump back in his Primary series DVD as being subtle too. I agree, always loved that aspect of his Primary, the whole sequence stripped down, unfussy and not in the least bit flashy. I practised with this DVD for several months and it was what took me from a 40 minute David Swenson short practice to the full practice in an hour, something I could manage before work every morning. Curiously, though the whole practice on the DVD takes just over an hour it never seemed hurried, that said I currently prefer a slower practice with longer slower exhalations and inhalations and longer stays in many of the postures.





While on the topic of Ashtanga, click the link to yoga mama's blog for details, was planning on going to this but somebody got their holiday dates in before me and i can't take the time off...next time.

Nancy Gilgoffs London workshops last few spaces...



Tuesday 26th June 8,30am -11.30am Led class followed by Q&A and examining the breath in the practise.

Wednesday 27th June 8.30am-11.30 Mysore style practise followed by Q&A and loving kindness mediation 

Thursday 28th June 8.30am- Mysore style practise only


8 comments:

Karen said...

I'm with you on that -- I was most delighted by the delicate, casual jump through. Born of many many many many practices. Lovely.

Claudia said...

very cool. loved the loop thing too, nice to watch again and again. Hope you dont mind I would love to share that clip as well.

Savim said...

If you watch his primary series DVD, even his lift up to jump back is pretty casual, his knees are no where close to the chest as it is normally taught.

Grimmly said...

But not just the many many many practices Karen, also the attitude he's bringing to the practice, most unassuming, find that in his 3rd series too and even in the demo's we find on youtube.

Of course Claudia, share away, came across it on fb myself but everyone seemed to be focussing on the arm balance. Thing I've managed that three times mostly I end up in a panic to unwrap my lotus in time as I land on my head or even worse in a lotus bellyflop, not pretty.

Yes, Satya, was thinking the same thing but couldn't find a video of his jump back on Youtube. have made my own and added it to the post.

Lisa said...

Agree, the simplicity is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Grimmly said...

I was trying it yesterday, it's such a simple transition, a little step with the left foot, bring the back leg up and carry gently on through (but of course I already have a jump through so that probably makes a difference), When I think of all the time and effort I put into jumping and lifting and swinging......, step and your through, that simple.

That said it raises questions perhaps about the whole vinyasa (in Ashtanga usage referring to jump through and back) we work at it but I also feel we tend to just go through the motions of the rest of the vinyasa to get to the next posture ( I know I used to).

Krishnamacharya put great emphasis on it's importance especially when you read in the Makaranda for example how he describes each stage, upward and downward dog for example, nice to hear Sharath telling students not to rush through it "why hurry" the other week.

I've started reintroducing full vinyasa between many of the postures since working closely with the makaranda and Yogasanagalu texts.

In Vinyasa Krama you tend to do the vinyasas only at the beginning and end of a subroutine so no chance of ....taking it for granted.

Nice thing about fa ull vinyasa is that each posture and it's vinyasa feels a complete whole.

Tony said...

Shame you can't make Nancy's workshop. Would have been nice to meet.
I'll be there with a couple of friends who've not studied with Nancy before. I'm more excited for them than myself!

Grimmly said...

hi Tony. I probably could have made it for just the Tuesday (my day off) but I think Nancy is hoping people will come for the whole workshop, makes sense, next time.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.