Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Freemanology - A Richard Freeman day plus Kino books, Maya's books also

Day off today and I'm planning on brushing up on some Freemanology (I'm attending his five day workshop at the end of August).

Confession time, forgive me father for I have sinned, it's been three weeks since my last full Ashtanga practice (hang on, there WAS that Primary and 2nd on the morning of my birthday but apart from that).

Actually, I think I still AM practicing Ashtanga (Vinyasa Krama too) but not ashtanga ashtanga if you know what I mean.

...not traditional ashatanga...actually, again, I happen to think what I'm practicing IS traditional Ashtanga, the limbs integrated, the asana flexible, groups of asana, no fixed sequence, creative, adaptable.... but not of the more... recent tradition perhaps,

But then what's tradition anyway, supposedly something handed down twice within three generations....but then that's not the traditional interpretation of tradition, that idea of tradition is only about two hundred years old itself, traditionally tradition meant, old, even ancient practices handed down over generations.

One of the things I liked about Ramaswami on his TT course is that I don't remember him talking that much about  tradition in relation to asana, about what was right or wrong, correct or incorrect method (rarely, only where it could involve injury), rather he would tend say, "...this is how my teacher taught me", and invite you to try it that way (of course his teacher was Krishnamachara but still).

Liked that a lot.

Something I do like though about Krishnamacharya's Yoga Makaranda and Yogasangalu is that they're grounded in the shastras, those ancient texts, we can see where this practice comes from, the important elements anyway (the ancient idea of tradition). And then on top of all that important stuff we have his approach to asana, no doubt as taught to him by his teacher and adapted/internalised by him, linking breath to movement while in as well as entering and exiting the asana ( the recent tradition idea perhaps).

Ashtanga yoga, eight limbs, follow the breath.
------

My current morning's practice is a Krishnamacharya approach where the inversions are shifted to the beginning of the practice, outlined HERE

Evening's are a more Yoga Makaranda / Yogasanagalu approach, close to primary and 2nd series but less fixed sequences, less postures to allow for longer stays.

This morning however .....late start as I wait for my back to de creak, this Osteoarthritis, bit of a bugger, good days, bad days or rather bad days and less bad days, must be something to do with how I'm sleeping, oh well the yoga is supposed to be good for it.

Anyway this morning

Richard Freeman's Primary, I have the app on my iPad
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ashtanga-yoga-primary-series/id526527043?mt=8

or there's the dvd see soundstrue page

Supposedly there's a new app link below

followed by part five of his pranayama course


I'm guessing your too late for the course although I imagine some form of it will become available. Richard does have another intro to pranayama cd called yoga breathing, good introduction, spends a long time on how to sit.

LINK

Get stuck into some more of the Aranya commentary on the Yoga Sutras during the afternoon or more likely get caught up in Olympic tiddywinks, where we're expecting our first gold in four years

In the evening, revisit Richard's Second Series DVD, followed by part six of the pranayama course.


I was asked about the course and I haven't reviewed it yet. It's difficult, you get stuck in your own approach to pranayama and trying another approach gets ....frustrating. Lots of good things in the course though, as you'd expect, many of which I've incorporated in my own practice. M. a pranayama beginner found the first session confusing, confused by Kidney Wings etc, the Richardisms I'm familiar with from his DVD's, needed to keep stopping the video to explain. In the end we gave up and I taught her the same exercises in my own way. For me with a couple of years of practice it took 'till the fifth episode to really take off, although, as I indicated, lots of good things right from the start of the course and in each session that I've incorporated in my own pranayama practice and that have echoed with my approach to asana also.

The idea of the course is six online live pranayama sessions. At the end your able to email in questions that then get passed on to Richard who answers them. The sessions can be downloaded a couple of days later.

Richard is fascinating, love how he's brought all these elements into  his approach to Ashtanga, my plan is to bring what I'm calling Freemanology, all  that internal focus into my Vinyasa Krama.

Now That's who I'd like to read a biography by or Tim Miller, he's actually working on one called 'Dust', Nancy, David Swenson, David Willams, people who have been practicing for forty years or more, their relationship to their practice over the years and in a western context.

Kino has brought a 'memoir' out, Sacred Fire,  seems a little soon but then I can't talk, here's a link to a review

http://eightlimbsyoga.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/sacred-fire-review.html



I'm more curious about her Ashtanga book which seems to be coming out April 2013, 240 pages, a nice size room to cram a lot in, should be good, especially if your just starting out.

LINK
----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE

Cover just appeared on Amazon.com
Link

--------------------------------------------------------


...back feels loosened up finally, be nice to practice without any pain in the morning for a change, love the day off which allows me to practice a little later.

time for a Cuban coffee, thank you Maya for the introduction and to get on the mat, have a good practice everyone.

While on the subject of books. Maya, an Ashtangi, perhaps you know her delightful blog Mayaland, she has a new book out.

I caught the first one, Conjouring Raine as a podcast and enjoyed it a lot, listened at work checking a hundred saxophones for a large order, got me through sanity intact, thank you again Maya

LINK
The second one, Toby Streams the Universe, I think I enjoyed even more, one of the sub characters is even an Ashtangi, made me think of siddhis, those strange yogic powers and how to cope with them. read it in the bath on the iPad...too much information?

LINK
Just started the new one, Children of the fallen, there's this one character, Dusi, I want to tell you about but don't want to spoil it, enough to say I'd love to see this character on a movie screen

LINK
If your into writing yourself, lots of posts scattered around Maya's blog on the process as well as on getting your work out there, and coffee, lots on coffee oh and the best reviews whether it be Ashtanga books, movies, tv series.... oh and she lives in a Yurt and just bought a school bus.

Ok, practice really.....Is this a good time to defrost and clean the fridge?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Given your several references to your tight back, have you considered not practicing asana in the morning but only in the evening? Also, do you think you're "overdoing" asana?

Mel Robin wrote a good bit on circadian rhythms in his textbook, in which he suggests the best time for pranayama is 4-6 am, asana a bit later, or, due even better, in the mid-to-late afternoon, since the body has loosened up by then and its physiological rhythm is opened more.

Curious on your take.

Anonymous said...

See page 484 here for the discussion to which I refer. Since you are practicing pranayama predominately now, I think you'd take away much from the overall discussion:

http://books.google.com/books?id=xyJEDt9LrGsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=MEL+ROBIN&source=bl&ots=g1n4a3pvBO&sig=WsT74DzqpTrFmSh8ScD6llFM7-g&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pBQYUIT3J6e78QHmuIHgCQ&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=MEL%20ROBIN&f=false

Grimmly said...

Hi Anon

I've thought about not practicing asana in the morning, in fact on holiday recently (really lousy bed) I was getting up very early, 4-5 and would go straight into pranayama, but I do like a little something to open the hips before sitting and am currently exploring Krishnamacharyas inversions as prep for pranayama approach, besides it's only that first half an hour or so before it loosens up. I switched Ashtanga to the evenings and a lighter Vinyasa Krama practice in the morning. Now I start off with a light VK tadasana sequence and then the inversions which seem to relax my back. After that some light seated asana to open up the hips and on into pranayama. So a very light asana practice in the morning. In the evening there's no problem. I do about an hour to ninety minutes, longer stays than I used to.

interestingly backbending doesn't seem to affect my back and tends to feel a relief especially in the morning, when i'm practising a regular 'modern' Ashtanga I usually do 2nd in the morning primary in the evening.

Perhaps I used to overdo the asana in the past but I don't feel that I do now.

The circadian rhythm idea is interesting. Does he just wake up and then sit for pranayama without any stretching or hip opening? I'll look at your link. I tend to get up at 5am, on the mat around 5:30, hit pranayama around 6:30-7:00. be nice to get up at 4am i like that time of morning but I'd have to go to bed so early I'd never see my wife who gets home from work pretty late.
I do like Asana in the late afternoon/early evening as you say nicely loosened up. Thanks for your comments and link will have a look now.

Love the book, just splashed out and bought it, couldn't resist, thanks for mentioning it.

maya9 said...

How cool is this? I stop by my favorite yoga blog and see my very own books looking back at me! Thanks so much for the review and the links, Grim! I'm delighted you have been enjoying them. And the Cafe Cubano, of course, I loved the picture you sent with the Pilon. You scored some! GAH. You've inspired me to get some my own self, just for authenticity, haha. I love me some Cuban coffee. Nice to have a fellow junkie to talk works with.

Rani Jeyaraj said...

Hey, I have had a Richard Freeman week...and I love it. My body is aching all over again, as though I woke up some new muscles.

Grimmly said...

Glad you caught it maya, thought you might have missed it when i poste4d Ramaswami's newsletter. this book of yours, grrr, one of those with short chapters where you have to wait four or five mini chapters before you pick up what's happening with the previous character....want to see this one on the movie screen....or TV series focussed on the neighborhood.

Cafe cubano, perfect for Ashtanga, small amount of liquid, strang as hell and that sugar rush to give you the extrsa energy boost.

Grimmly said...

You too Rani, makes you fall in love with Ashtanga all over again. looking forward to his workshop again now.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.