I was asked by my friend Jessica if I had any tips for working on/towards jumping back...
It's been awhile...
I managed to catch M. just finishing her practice yesterday and got her to record what I'd just tried to explain in an fb message to Jessica.
The idea here is to take a step back transition that isn't perhaps too challenging, something you can perhaps work into your practice right away, and that on it's own can become quite delicate and elegant giving you a nice flow between asana, and then take that step back(should you so wish), by stages into a serviceable jump back that will build strength, stamina timing and technique... such that you can polish it as you go, bringing in bandhas for more control and efficiency.
My suggestion is to step back in most of your asana but then shift up a stage every five asana and then every four, every three and so on.
How does Kino do these talking over examples without getting out of breath?
*
Here are some old posts, this blog was originally called Ashtanga Jump Back after all.
The idea of the progression video below is to scan through the videos find one that best reflects where you are now and then perhaps go to that period in the blog ( by searching the blog archive over on the right) and find posts that perhaps show how I progressed to the next video in the post.
My jump back progression
*
Some of the different jump backs that become possible for anyone who has a jump back already but wants to try some of the fancier versions, jumping straight out of asana, lotus jump back etc.
My first couple of posts on this blog
Wednesday, 9 July 2008
Jumping back
from the post...
*
'I've heard it said, and been told, that the Jump back is not so important and not something to get hung up on, that it will come with time etc etc. And I agree with this. I know and accept that it's just one aspect of the practice and there are many ways/variations of the jump back that allow you to string the asana together. And I'm aware that Nancy Gilgoff, supposedly, never employed the jump back.
BUT
I like the the jump back!
I want to jump back!
I WILL jump back!
I like how it links the asana. I like how the asana flow together when you can jump back out of one asana and jump through into the next. Ashtanga is a flowing practice so what's wrong with focusing on the flowing aspect.
We shouldn't have to defend our keenness to master it.
That said, there have been times when I've stopped my practice midway through my practice frustrated at not being able to lift up and this is where the "don't get hung up on it" comments are important
I've found that the best way to go about it is find a comfortable jump back variation that fits within your practice and then start developing your jump back outside your practice'.
*
see also this post
*
And as for jumping back through see this old post

5 comments:
Great tips! I will definitely try it in my practice. off topic question; what space heater do you use? I need a new one for my yoga room at home (it isn't cooled or heated).
That would be a four bar Halogen, love it gives the nicest glow in the dark mornings too. Lots of heat and cheap to run. this one is by Lloytron 1600w and can swivel too.
Even did a post on it
http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/new-halogen-heater-baddha-padmasana-on.html
Nice! Thanks!! It is getting in the 30's at night so my sun room/yoga space gets pretty cold in the morning!
Grimmly, what a nice speaking voice you have, I don't think I've heard it before. Now I can hear your voice as I'm reading your posts. Nice video, I got down on the floor to try your tricks just now, no mat, and was amused to find I can *slide* through on the hard wood flooring thanks to my fuzzy socks. Must try that some more! But I found that my feet, when shins are crossed, are miles, well, a good ten inches, from my hands. I don't know how you're getting yours to sit there on your hands like that. I wonder if it my thigh shape or my booty, haha, getting in the way. Or my post-baby abs just aren't squeezing me into tight enough of a ball? Interesting.
Why thank you Maya, heard yours of course on your audio book, have it in my head when I read your books.
Hmmm, try crossing your shins and pulling your feet in and down as well as rocking forward, if that doesn't work you'll have to send me a picture or stick it on a post so I can see. Was going to post a thank you on your blog have registered with a couple of the japanese site's you mentioned.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.