I've been working on this for about a week, looking at youtube videos ( see the drop back playlist on my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2BC774BEFFB4F372 )
At first I tried dropping back to the wall then walking down it. Had a few goes leaning back as far as I could to see how low I could go. Today I tried a couple of supported drop backs to the sofa(Thank You Misa) very disconcerting as it seems so far away. Next I put two large Sofa cushions on the floor and dropped back on to them. Felt Quite confident as I could see the middle of the cushions
Next I dropped back on to one Cushion. Still felt comfortable, although I could only see the far edge of the cushion . Seem to drop back a lot faster on this one, felt less controlled.
Finally with more than a little trepidation I tried dropping back to the floor. Very nervous about this as the floor was a blur on the edge of my vision. Takes quite a leap of faith but after the previous two you know the floor isn't as far away as it seems. (Apologies for the lack of a shirt but I wanted to see my back as I bent back).
The exclamation at the end is from joy and surprise rather than from pain.
Getting back up from the backbend seems a hell of a lot harder than dropping down into it.
CAUTION: I should probably point out that I've been doing Ashtanga for a year and a half which includes, what, three floor back bends, six days a week. Ashtanga develops the core muscles which helps prepares you for the back bend and drop backs. I guess I'm saying I'm coming to the Drop back with a fair amount of preparation and I'd strongly recommend you were suitably prepared too before you "try this at home".
3 comments:
Hey, congrats on the dropback!
Not sure if they're jump back's little brother, though! I suspect most people would think dropbacks "bigger" than jump backs...
Very nice!
Yeah, unfortunately coming up is harder. But you will do it! (I had to fall on my head first..)
My jumpbacks still suck though :)
That drop-back to the floor was very very good! My tip: don't hold your waist. Reach your arms up and overhead and drop back on the exhale. Using the breath actually really and truly helps. My stand-ups are a work in progress, but my dropbacks have really benefited from conscious breathing. Exhale down, inhale up.
I am kind of amazed whenever I see people drop back to cushions - I could never ever do that for fear of breaking my arms in the soft cushion. Maybe that is irrational? Anyway, your practice is lovely!
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.