Saturday, 31 March 2012

Straight Leg jump through, a suggestion. (Plus some cross leg and lotus jump throughs.)

Something for the weekend.

Currently switching from cross leg to straight leg jump through for reasons I forget. While my crossed leg one was relatively nice and smooth my straight leg version has always been a little ...clunky,  my heels coming down at the end before lowering for example.

Tried something new this morning that seems to have made a difference and i wanted to film it while it was fresh and before I'd had much chance to develop it.

My epiphany was to look to an imaginary point six inches above the end of your mat and jump to that point, seems to keep the heels up more, feels nicer, more controlled.

Still need to work on it but it's encouraging, get the feeling that with a little better timing I should be able to jump through and hold for a moment before lowering.



Really wish I could remember why I decided to switch.

Two other things that have helped recently, avoid trying to jump your whole lower body through, your hips don't need to go through the arms and yet I used to be jumping as if they did. The other suggestion is to try not to jump so fast imagine somebody tugging on the back of your pants.

Just some ideas to play with if your working on this too.

One more thing

'No merit in that'

Jumping through, jumping back, it's nice when you get it, practice flows a little more smoothly but it's REALLY not that important, comes eventually .....or not.

Nice to focus on every now and again though, something to keep coming back to.

I feel it's more a case of getting all the elements in place rather than there being one 'secret' or 'key', hand positioning, shifting body weight, bandhas or at least keeping the lower body nice and tight and compact, picking the best point to gaze, getting the timing right for your lift or jump, awareness of where your pelvis in space etc etc etc. Some of them you'll do automatically, others you'll add on and incorporate over time.

Also everybody's  jump back and jump through seems to be a little different and it seems to be a mistake to try and do yours exactly as your current half vinyasa hero ( mine was always Lino), I recommend trying lots of different approaches and more importantly combinations of approaches.

Some earlier Straight leg jump through posts

Born again straight leg jump through Apr 2011

Straight leg jump through finally! June 2009

How to do a Straight leg Jump through blindfolded july 2009

And of course if the straight leg jump through isn't your thing here are some of the other variations worth exploring.





I set up a Facebook page this week for links to these blog posts and other bits and pieces that don't  end up as a full post https://www.facebook.com/AVKYatHome


5 comments:

Nobel said...

"My epiphany was to look to an imaginary point six inches above the end of your mat and jump to that point, seems to keep the heels up more, feels nicer, more controlled."

This is a good strategy, Grimmly. I do a similar thing with floating up to Trini position from downdog in the Surya Namaskars. I look to and aim at an imaginary point between my legs, about three or four inches above the mat. I have noticed that when I do this, my body tends to stop at that point before I lower it down to the mat slowly, thereby achieving the floating effect. But more often than not, this also messes up the vinyasa count (see my latest post). So I guess there is a trade-off :-)

Shelley said...

"'No merit in that'

Jumping through, jumping back, it's nice when you get it, practice flows a little more smoothly but it's REALLY not that important, comes eventually .....or not."

With regards to this,At the Confluence during the flying, floating, handstand workshop, David Swenson said, "Repeat after me, 'I am still a good person'". :) So true.

Some good tips here Grim, thanks. I am working on the same thing, I struggle with it. Which I know I am not supposed to say, but I do. Like, my mind is telling me, "You know, you should be able to do this, I dont understand why you cant".........I am a good person, I am a good person :)

Grimmly said...

Ahhh, I should try that on my float up too hadn't thought of that. Did you see David Swenson's on the Confluence video i posted a couple of days ago where he kind of floats back and forth.

I saw your post on the 'correct' count, thought April 1st had come a couple of days early : )

Hi Shelly, think it's Ok to struggle with it as long as you don't beat yourself up over it. I remember thinking Jumping back and through was supposed to be like Lino's so was aiming for that for a long time, thought that was the 'correct' way. There is no correct way of course, just got to find the way that works best for you and your body type and where you are in the practice.

My father was an Airplane engineer ( would have been his birthday yesterday) he knew exactly why and how planes worked (tried many times to explain it to me with the help of paper airplanes) and yet he used to say that everyday/night at Heathrow Airport he would watch the jumbo's take off and land and still have a sense of wonder. I feel the same with my jump backs and thorough, picked them to pieces over the years of this blog but every time i jump through straight legs i think I 'shouldn't' be able to do that, I really shouldn't be able to do that : )

Anonymous said...

my teacher also said to look forward when jumping through. I used to keep my head looking navel-wise until the last minute, but by turning it to the front of the mat, the momentum of the vision helps to carry the body forward. Also, I have been closely examining how my cat seems to effortlessly leap onto high surfaces and I realize that cats use their own bandhas, accompanied by their eyes. Where the eyes are, so will the body be...

Grimmly said...

Like that about the cat Anon. I was looking at the end of the mat but it's the six inches above the mat I've found has made the big difference.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.