Friday, 18 October 2013

Ashtanga and loving Kindness, be safe, be at ease...

picture from here http://ayshfi.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/random-act-of-kindness/

Interesting practice yesterday...

Pre practice I sat for some Loving Kindness meditation and for some reason or other decided to bring that into may asana practice, my Primary series. I've explored Mahasati in practice recently and mantra often, this was an extension of that.

So basically on the inhalation I mentally recited

May I be filled with loving kindness 

on the exhalation

May I be safe and well

on the next inhalation

May I be peaceful and at ease

and on the exhalation

May I be happy

...and then continued that throughout the whole practice, every breath, every inhalation, every exhalation for going on two hours.

It was interesting because one part of the mantra would have more resonance, speak a little louder, in different asana, at different stages of an asana.

in Janu C say where I have some old nagging pains in my left knee for example, 'May I be safe and well', seemed particularly timely, In Mari D 'May I be Peaceful and at ease', again timely, especially the 'at ease' bit and so on in Kurmasana and supta kurmasana 'May I be Happy' and always, throughout the practice 'May I be filled with loving kindness'...to myself..... in my practice and of course beyond my practice.

Oh the Buddha was smart, he knew us so well. Love your neighbour, sure, love your enemy as yourself, great....but how do you go about doing that Lord?

Begin with yourself says the Buddha, be kind to yourself, fill yourself with loving kindness and then when you can be kinder to yourself then think about being kind to others, your teacher, your, family and friends, your sangha, community, to those outside of your community, to your enemies, to the fallen, to all beings, to all beings that have been, to all beings that are yet to be.....

So you start with yourself ( not just because it's you so much but because your the being closest to hand and can then project it outwards)  and it's never struck home as powerfully as saying that mantra over and over in my mind through my Ashtanga practice, be kind to yourself in your practice, be peaceful in your practice, be at ease, be safe, be well.......be happy in your practice.

Because so often in our Ashtanga we aren't perhaps being kind to ourselves, so often we push ourselves a little too hard, I know I used to, less so now perhaps but sometimes still no doubt. And maybe we aren't always being as safe as we could be, or as peaceful and certainly not as at ease, and are we as happy as we want to be in our practice. Much of the time perhaps, most of the time, maybe,...all of the time?

May I be filled with loving kindness

filled

Two hours of that in the morning and I guarantee it'll carry on through part of your day, it's a nice practice.

There are several versions of loving kindness meditation, this is just the one I'm using currently


May I be filled with loving kindness 

May I be safe and well

May I be peaceful and at ease

May I be happy


I'm thinking a week of this practice, starting Sunday.

****

I have some other old posts on loving kindness, just hunted them out.

from


Sunday, 25 March 2012


Live lightly..... Metta Sutta

Owl and Karen alluded to this in a post over at Insideowl, I have softspot for Gil's translation. Highly recommend Gil's Talks on Loving Kindness and Mindfulness on theZencast podcast (links to come later as I'm currently on my blogger unfriendly iPad).

See also my earlier post Loving Kindness

METTA SUTTA
To reach the state of peace
Those skilled in the Good
Should be
Capable and upright, Straightforward and easy to speak to, Gentle and not proud,
Contented and easily supported,
Living lightly and with few duties,
Wise and with senses calmed,
Not arrogant and without greed for supporters,
And they should not do the least thing that the wise would criticize. [They should reflect:]
"May all be happy and secure;
May all beings be happy at heart.
All living beings, whether weak or strong, Tall, large, medium, or short,
Tiny or big,
Seen or unseen,
Near or distant,
Born or to be born,
May they all be happy."
Let no one deceive another
Or despise anyone anywhere;
Let no one through anger or aversion Wish for others to suffer.
As a mother would risk her own life To protect her child, her only child, So toward all beings should one Cultivate a boundless heart.
With loving-kindness for the whole world
Should one cultivate a boundless heart,
Above, below, and all around
Without obstruction, without hate and without ill-will. Standing or walking, sitting or lying down,
As long as one is alert,
May one stay with this recollection.
This is called a sublime abiding, here and now. Whoever is virtuous, endowed with vision,
Not taken by views,
And having overcome all greed for sensual pleasure Will not be reborn again.
Translated by Gil Fronsdal

***
from


Monday, 21 February 2011


Loving kindness

These was a moment during practice yesterday, just after my 10 minute tadasana, warm up, sequence and half way through the Sury's of Intermediate when I noticed I was becoming irritated with the back injury, symptoms of frustration, a tightness in my chest. I finished the A's started on the B's and still the tightness, a growing despondency, the irritation turning into annoyance.

Perhaps it's just become automatic now but something clicked, 'May you be happy....' the Buddhist Loving kindness mantra popped into my head, 'May you be happy, may you be safe, may you be well, ,may you be peaceful'. I chanted it in my head a couple of times along with the Sury's and then thought, why not. Stopped my practice, stood in tadasana for a moment getting centered and then repeated the mantra five times before carrying on with the practice where I left off.

Turned out to be a nice Vinyasa Krama modified Intermediate practice.

This morning after my opening chant I did the same, repeating the loving kindness mantra five times before practice, once again a nice gentle practice.

Such a simple thing yet somehow makes a world of difference. I recommend it to everyone trying to practice through an injury at the moment.

'May you be happy,
may you be safe,
may you be well,
may you be peaceful'.

Loving kindness or metta meditation.
The idea here seems to be to break old habits and cultivate new. The Buddhists know we're unlikely to start loving or enemies overnight so you begin by directing Loving kindness at your loved ones and move on from there. In your regular meditation you might begin by chanting the loving kindness mantra to yourself a few times slipping in a loved ones name in place of 'you' while holding their image in your mind. Next might be a friend, a teacher and after a while you might move onto someone who annoys you at work and try and direct loving kindness towards them while chanting the mantra.

It becomes automatic, someone does something that would normally annoy you ( thus causing you mild suffering) and you find yourself automatically chanting, 'May this piece of work who just cut in frount of me at the supermarket till be happy, may this piece of work who just cut in frount of me at the supermarket till be safe......

Here's a link to the Insight neditation audiodharma website where you can find podcasts on Loving kindness meditation by Gil Fronsdal along with pdf transcripts, which is where I learned about it. You can also find podcasts on Insight/Vipassana meditation, Dharma talks and even some natty meditation timers.




Appendix
An extended Loving kindness meditation

May I be free from enmity, may I be free from ill-will, may I be free from affliction, may I be happy, may I be free from suffering, may I not be parted from the good fortune I have attained, as owner of my kamma.

May the community in this monastery... May the guardian deities of this monastery be free from enmity, may they be free from ill-will, may they be free from affliction, may they be happy, may they be free from suffering, may they not be parted from the good fortune they have attained, as owners of their kamma.

May our supporters who provide the four requisites... May our parents, teacher, relatives and friends be free from enmity, may they be free from ill-will, may they be free from affliction, may they be happy, may they be free from suffering, may they not be parted from the good fortune they have attained, as owners of their kamma.

May all living things, all breathing thing, all beings, all persons, all individuals, all women, all men, all noble ones, all worldlings, all deities, all human beings, and all those destined for hell be free from enmity, may they be free from ill-will, may they be free from affliction, may they be happy, may they be free from suffering, may they not be parted from the good fortune they have attained, as owners of their kamma.

In the east, in the south, in the west, in the north, in the northeast, in the southeast, in the southwest, in the north west, below and above; may all living things, all breathing thing, all beings, all persons, all individuals, all women, all men, all noble ones, all worldlings, all

3 comments:

sereneflavor said...

Will try this out on Sunday. I live in permanent danger of becoming a mantra, mudra, and amulet hoarder. :)

Lu said...

Beautiful, Anthony _/\_

Grimmly said...

I'm thinking a full week on this Maria, starting Sunday

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.