Saturday, 5 October 2013

on Krishnamacharya AYC Ashtanga Yoga Confluence


I was looking through some old drafts and came across the AYC ( Ashtanga Yoga Confluence ) video 'On Krishnamacharya' which I never seem to have got around to posting. Here it is with the question that provoked the discussion below. I think I had originally planned on transcribing the whole thing which is why I never posted it.

Watching this again now I get the feeling that the panel are just as  much in the dark about Krishnamacharya and what he did and didn't teach the young Pattabhi a Jois as we are...

On Krishnamacharya



video by Amanda Manfredi

QUESTION
As I understand it Krishnamacharya gave or proscribed the Ashtanga yoga practice to Guruji (Patabbhi Jois) based on Guruji's own personal characteristics, strength, health, dosha etc., gave an entirely different practice based on what he saw in Iyengar. If my understanding is correct how does that jog with the idea that the Ashtanga yoga practice is the right practice for everyone?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nuno from Portugal here. I know the practice of sivananda and ashtanga yoga. They are different methods and I feel each one is better for me depending on the mood of day. In general terms I feel more relaxed after a sivananda practice but when I am very stressed there is nothing like an ashtanga practice. My dosha is the vata-pitta type and from what I have been reading this could explain some of these variations. Anyway, because I felt in love with ashtanga 1 year ago, and I believe if we do what we love we will have a happy life, I only practice ashtanga now.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.