I was teaching Vinyasa Krama for much of last week which was fun, an interesting experience but my practice hasn't exactly felt my own all week. I would run through the practice I planned to teach in my morning practice and then half demonstrate/instruct, half practice along with the 'student' in the evening.
I don't know, teaching.... I'd like to do some more, almost feel a responsibility to do so now, to pass on what was shared with me but at the expense of my own practice? I'm accustomed to practicing twice a day, it's a luxury I know...the more students the less time there would be to practice. Ashtanga is a little different perhaps, a fixed sequence, but Vinyasa Krama takes a little planning. But then when I first started teaching, whether as a TA at Uni or as a Schoolteacher or TEFL in Japan, I would spend ages planning lessons/classes, by the end though I'd come up with something on a quick trip to the bathroom or on the way class (just sketch the outlines and allow space for improvising in class, riff off each other). I guess I spent a long time designing teacher training programs when I was a trainer but that was different, even then the courses became pretty much routine after teaching them a few times.
It's a concern though.
Of course if the time ever came when I had enough students to give up work and teach full time (hate the idea, depending on yoga for my livelihood worries me more than a little) one would assume there would be more time to practice again. I'm not convinced, it's no doubt hard to say no to anyone asking for lessons and before you know it your teaching constantly with no time for your own practice or if you do, you fit one in it's with upcoming lessons in mind.
I'd like more time to practice not less, more time for longer pranayama, for longer sits, for more study...
Anyway, I was given Derek Ireland's Primary CD, much better than an apple, thank you. Was looking forward to getting home and practicing with it on Saturday after work. As it happen I ended up with a flat and had to push my bike home, practice was the last thing I was in the mood for.
On FB I asked mentally "Derek, to be gentle" .....wrong teacher, wrong CD, Derek is old school, a fast full on practice.
That said Derek Ireland's practice runs to 1:42 which seems slow, compare it with Sharath's Primary in an hour. That's partly because there are a couple of extra postures in there, a parivtta parsva konasana variation where the arm goes under the leg and binds and then Hanumanasana and Samakonasana are squeezed in after the Prasarita series.
There's a nice focus on dandasna which gets echoed throughout and a pause before each jump through to 'set' yourself up. Time too for an extra breath or so to bind the tricky postures if you want it. It's not exactly a beginners led though, you'd need to know the practice and be practicing for a little while but it makes for a nice led and with a slightly different focus than anyone else. All the led DVD's are useful every now and again if your practicing at home, everyone has a different take on the practice. I'm still getting a lot out of Richard Freeman's but this was a refreshing change.
I'd expected to suffer a bit, Vinyasa Krama is a slower practice but perhaps it's two weeks of green smoothies but I found the practice comfortable, felt strong and fit but then Vinyasa krama is deceptively demanding.
While I'm mentioning Derek Ireland, I picked up his pranayama CD a while back, this is the Ashtanga approach to pranayama, or perhaps the Ashtanga Pranayama Routine (coming to a shala near you perhaps once Gregor's pranayama book come out in a couple of months) little different than how I was taught by Ramaswami but interesting and highly recommended (here's an outline, pretty much as I remember it on the CD). It goes through Ujaii, nadi shodana (alternating nostrils), sitali... each exercise separated off by a few deep breaths and inhalations, a nice , pre practice routine (pranayama seems to come before asana practice in ashtanag as opposed to after in vinyasa Krama).
I like Derek Ireland, wasn't sure when I first saw the video below with the thong and flowing locks (that WMG seem to have blocked) but his personality comes through on his cd's, he doesn't take himself too seriously, there's a warmth and generosity and even a gentleness from the big man.
Here's a little look at one of his classes
Here's a link to a post I did on him a while back which includes The Independent's obituary
you should be able to get both the primary and pranayama CD's from here http://www.yogapractice.net/shopping.html
Coffee is drunk, time for practice (...am I seriously considering giving up coffee for a while).
I don't know, teaching.... I'd like to do some more, almost feel a responsibility to do so now, to pass on what was shared with me but at the expense of my own practice? I'm accustomed to practicing twice a day, it's a luxury I know...the more students the less time there would be to practice. Ashtanga is a little different perhaps, a fixed sequence, but Vinyasa Krama takes a little planning. But then when I first started teaching, whether as a TA at Uni or as a Schoolteacher or TEFL in Japan, I would spend ages planning lessons/classes, by the end though I'd come up with something on a quick trip to the bathroom or on the way class (just sketch the outlines and allow space for improvising in class, riff off each other). I guess I spent a long time designing teacher training programs when I was a trainer but that was different, even then the courses became pretty much routine after teaching them a few times.
It's a concern though.
Of course if the time ever came when I had enough students to give up work and teach full time (hate the idea, depending on yoga for my livelihood worries me more than a little) one would assume there would be more time to practice again. I'm not convinced, it's no doubt hard to say no to anyone asking for lessons and before you know it your teaching constantly with no time for your own practice or if you do, you fit one in it's with upcoming lessons in mind.
I'd like more time to practice not less, more time for longer pranayama, for longer sits, for more study...
Anyway, I was given Derek Ireland's Primary CD, much better than an apple, thank you. Was looking forward to getting home and practicing with it on Saturday after work. As it happen I ended up with a flat and had to push my bike home, practice was the last thing I was in the mood for.
On FB I asked mentally "Derek, to be gentle" .....wrong teacher, wrong CD, Derek is old school, a fast full on practice.
That said Derek Ireland's practice runs to 1:42 which seems slow, compare it with Sharath's Primary in an hour. That's partly because there are a couple of extra postures in there, a parivtta parsva konasana variation where the arm goes under the leg and binds and then Hanumanasana and Samakonasana are squeezed in after the Prasarita series.
There's a nice focus on dandasna which gets echoed throughout and a pause before each jump through to 'set' yourself up. Time too for an extra breath or so to bind the tricky postures if you want it. It's not exactly a beginners led though, you'd need to know the practice and be practicing for a little while but it makes for a nice led and with a slightly different focus than anyone else. All the led DVD's are useful every now and again if your practicing at home, everyone has a different take on the practice. I'm still getting a lot out of Richard Freeman's but this was a refreshing change.
I'd expected to suffer a bit, Vinyasa Krama is a slower practice but perhaps it's two weeks of green smoothies but I found the practice comfortable, felt strong and fit but then Vinyasa krama is deceptively demanding.
I like Derek Ireland, wasn't sure when I first saw the video below with the thong and flowing locks (that WMG seem to have blocked) but his personality comes through on his cd's, he doesn't take himself too seriously, there's a warmth and generosity and even a gentleness from the big man.
Here's a little look at one of his classes
Here's a link to a post I did on him a while back which includes The Independent's obituary
you should be able to get both the primary and pranayama CD's from here http://www.yogapractice.net/shopping.html
Coffee is drunk, time for practice (...am I seriously considering giving up coffee for a while).


5 comments:
Yeah, teaching, it's a difficult one. I know what you mean about not wanting to rely on it for the money. And it sure does cut into practice time and energy a bit. Takes more energy than it looks. I was thinking of cutting a couple of classes, but felt bad and couldn't, when people come and try hard and value their practice, to then take it away. It's a responsibility and a service. And really how wonderful if there are people around who want you to teach them, no?
Yes, really enjoyed the experience, not so much that he wanted to be taught by me but that despite having practiced for what, fifteen years and being a teacher himself he still saw something wonderful in Vinyasa Krama. He's thinking about taking Ramaswami's course in the UK in Oct. His enthusiasm was infectious and brought out my own.
You have such a gift and especially to help people in their home practice. Unfortunately, when you start teaching practice is even more precious and you don't have the luxury of controlling your own time. Bit it can be done. Sometimes it is practicing when you are very tired. Hope you find the balance in both.
Yogagodess
Don't forget...your blog reaches many many people, and is a wonderful teacher.
As a parent this is a constant conundrum: how much time and energy to give vs. how much to save for oneself. Of course, as a parent you don't always have a choice, or at least it doesn't seem so. Teach as much as feels nurturing for your own being.
I went to a workshop this weekend with a great teacher. Even though it was a joy, I'm not sure yet if I'll go back for more. There is so much to read, so many teachings online. To commit to a teacher is more than I can take on right now time and money wise. Online teachings are just as valid for those of us who need to respect our alone-time :)
thank you Joan, desperate, I think it likely that any teaching I do will be intermittent so will only be temporary disruption. It was a nice thing to do last week, felt quite honoured to be asked to share it. That said for some reason I have a hankering to teach a class of little old ladies ( and perhaps gentlemen), a really gentle Vinyasa Krama class, stripped down to the bare essentials, not sure where that comes from.
Yes, so much online, all it takes is a little discernment. I think there's SO much nonsense about 'teacher' in yoga, few language games getting mixed up as well as cultural horizons. Asana teachers get turned into gurus and guru's into asana teachers, the idea that we should have a teacher. I'm not sure the guru tradition transplants to our culture as easily as some seem to think.
that said I think most of us can identify certain important teachers we've had in our lives, at different periods, often we don't realise how important they were until later.
I still believe that a teachers most important job is to liberate one from the need of a teacher, not what to think but how to think, not what to say but how to say and not what to practice but how to practice.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.