Just came across this video posted on FB by Lisa and Kathryn of Mark Darby conducting some video tutorials at http://www.sattvayogashala.com/
Quite excited about this as the first Ashtanga video I bought was Mark's,, it's still my pick for if your starting Ashtanga on your own at home.
![]() |
| DVD Info link |
and while we're at it a nice demo from Mark and Joanne Darby, thank your Rene for the reminder.

7 comments:
I've got that video and it's the one I use most to practice with (when I practice with a video that is!) (Mind you, the only other one I've got is the old David Swenson one!)
Unfortunately it's the one I always lend out and I haven't watched it for ages, really looking forward to getting it back.
Darby's is the first DVD I used (based on your recommendation Grimmly) and I fell in love with the practice as a result. He isn't too far from me in Montreal, and I'd love to make a trip there sometime. He's so cool I think he may have sparked some serious interest in my 16 year old son, temporarily disabled with severe tendonitis caused by too much weight training (ugh).
Have you read the Darby chapter in the guruji book desperate, good reading, was my favourite chapter.
No not yet...I'll give it a try thx
I really wanted to like the Darby video, the timing of the breath is wonderful--nice long breaths--but I never made it past the first 20 minutes because of all the talking. It's a very wordy video, and the constant talk about energy moving through the earth and such really aggravated me. I prefer the simple counts of the Jois video, or John Scott's video. If I use a video at all, that is.
Not sure if you are aware, but there is a subscription website called YogaGlo that has lots of led Ashtanga classes, all taught by Jodi Blumstein. I find her to be an engaging and knowledgeable teacher, and her introduction to Intermediate Series classes are a real boon to the home practitioner (although you are way past that stage, Grimmly!). One can try the site for 2 weeks for free, then it's $18 (U.S.) per month. For you in Britain, that should be about,what, £2? :-) I've enjoyed it so far, even tried out a few other types of yoga, which only served to remind me how much I love Ashtanga.
i think it was ideal for me at the time, liked having them side by side doing variations of the postures and as you say the timing was nice. I don't remember it being wordy but then I haven't seen it for two or three years, keep lending it out.
later I moved on to Sharaths, used that for a long time now i've come back to Richard Freeman's, now that's wordy, but I'm finding a lot in it, am trying to practice with it once a week.
John Scott awesome but found it intimidating when i got it four years ago, Lino's too.
My student this week just passed me along Derek Irelands Cd of his led primary, only listened to bits of it but come to think of it might practice with it now just to see what it's like.
I've heard Yogaglo was useful, seem to remember somebody involved with them was trying to get Ramaswami to do something with them.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.