Saturday, 22 September 2012

Vibram five fingers shoe review

Hey Anthony!

I am working on promoting a new store I have launched Born Barefoot. And am looking for someone into yoga to review them for that use.

Here they are at Vibram Five Fingers - Uk

They are designed for multiple uses including yoga, so If you are interested just respond to this e-mail and I will would out your size and put them in the post for you.

Let me know if your interested or if you have any questions!

Best,
James 

I tend to reject most offers for reviewing products, If I do review anything it tends to be books I read, DVDs I use regularly and mats, mainly manduka because it's what I tend to use.

I was tempted by this one though as I'd seen these shoes pop up occasionally and was curious, in fact I'm pretty sure somebody was wearing a pair on Richard Freeman's workshop.

So I said yes and the shoes arrived, bright red ones, no chance to be discrete about wearing them.


The general consensus at work was that they were ugly and that I was weird.

When evening came around and it was time for a bath I found I really didn't want to take them off, I still don't like taking them off.

Are they comfortable?  I'm not sure comfortable is the word I would use, but I guess they must be, everything (toes) feels snug, enfolded, but still a little strange.

Best thing about taking them off is looking at them sitting on the floor, still smile every time, they really are the strangest things.


But what of yoga, which is why they were sent to me in the first place. Here's what they say about them on the Us site


"Connect to the Earth with firmly rooted feet. Vibram FiveFingers footwear for yoga and Pilates features a thin Vibram® sole that allows optimum flexibility and range of motion, while keeping bare feet protected. It provides a hygienic alternative to being barefoot in the studio, while providing the same sensory feedback critical to balance and agility. For those of you who want to take your yoga or Pilates practice on the road, it lets you leave your mat at home and still have the traction you need on a variety of surfaces, whether you’re at a campsite or in your hotel room.
While Vibram FiveFingers footwear offers practical advantages for yoga and Pilates, it also promotes a more healthy and natural way of walking and moving in your everyday life. By having your feet on a flat plane it helps align your posture, putting less stress on your body. Small muscles in the feet and lower leg are stimulated, enhancing your body awareness and arousing the senses as you move throughout your world in a more connected way".

and check out this page that tells you about the shoes themselves

About Vibram five fingers


Well if I'm honest, I don't see it, I really don't. Tried them outside and on the floorboards and they grip wonderfully for standing but then what? Your going to put something down for seated postures so they only make sense for standing postures where you don't have a mat, so a bit gimmicky.

On the mat, the grip is extreme such that I really can't recommend them for practice and don't want to post any of the pictures or videos I made, I just don't think they're safe. They will-not-move and it worries me that you could damage a knee, there's no chance of any minor adjustment to the foot placement. Also, don't we tend to work on developing our mulabandha ("whatever that is" RF) one approach to that is said to be focusing attention on our PC muscles to stop our feed sliding apart, which is the argument against using even sticky mats altogether, let alone sticky mats and sticky shoes.


So for yoga asana I'm afraid it's a no from me, but for  those of us who practice asana you might want to get a pair anyway because we have a good relationship with our feet and these shoes make you more aware of your feet throughout the day no doubt because our toes get to spread and grip, you feel the floor better, feel ...more grounded somehow.

That said I'm paranoid about catching my little toe against the side of something which is a little worrying.

So I like them, wish they were black or the trainer type so I'd feel happier wearing them out more but don't really feel they are suitable or appropriate for asana practice but perhaps you feel differently, do let me know in comments if you've used them more than once or twice for practice.

Here's the link in the UK if you want to pick up a pair anyway, I'm wearing them now in fact, wiggling my toes.

Vibram Five Fingers - Uk

3 comments:

Brianna Nash said...

I agree with you on the asana practice with the Vibrams. They are wonderful for running though :). I think the only way I'd wear them while practicing would be if I didn't use a mat or was practicing outside (sans mat), that is about it though.

Anonymous said...

I found the five fingers to be restrictive to the spreading of my toes while running (when I have to wear shoes at all). I prefer the barefoot shoes with no toe slots so I can be free to spread as wide as I like :)
As for yoga, I can't think of a time I would want to wear them, mud, grass, dirt... all are better naked!

The Stranded Knitter said...

I love my vibrams but practice? I don't think so. I have several pairs for walking and hiking. Are these actually designed for yoga? What's the point? I guess I don't get why anyone would think they'd need shoes on a mat. Great review thanks.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.