Thursday, 13 September 2012

Ashtanga Mysore rooms around the world

I wanted to find some videos of standard Ashtanga Mysore style self practice to see/show how ashtanga is actually practiced in rooms around the world. The perception of Ashtanga is often that it's fast, breathless, acrobatic I think these videos show that in reality that's not really the case. Sure there are some fancy postures, especially in the higher series and in a led class, practice is often taken at a faster pace but day to day these videos show, for me anyway, a calm, meditative breathing practice.

In my own Ashtanga practice these days I tend to split a series in half so I can take it a lille slower still and stay in the postures a little longer, I might add the odd variation here and there too but that's the extra freedom that come from practicing at home.

I've gone for mysore room videos because in most of these the practitioner's don't seem particularly aware or concerned that they are being filmed, thet'rejust getting on with their practice as it is.

I think these videos are a fair representation of the practice and seem a long way from the misconceptions that abound.

*If you have a YouTube video to recommend, something similar, no music and not a led class just standard Mysore practice please pass on the link in the comments (Anonymous is fine) and I'll add it to the post

Hitting play on all of them at the same time is kinda fun, might inspire you to get on the mat.

Ashtanga yoga Bali Indonesia March 2011


Winnipeg Yoga Shala Canada March 2010


Mandala Yoga Bend Minn. USA Feb 2008


Yoga Workshop Boulder Co. USA Nov 09


Yoga Zagreb Croatia 2011


Ashtanga Yoga Bologna Italy July 08


Ashtanga Yoga Moscow Russia Apr 2012


Ashtanga Yoga Peru Feb 2012


Niigata Japan Jan 09


 * If you see yourself in any of these videos and would rather they weren't posted on my blog, let me know through comments and I'll take the video down.
You can of course also comment " />

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Grim! You might be familiar with this website, or perhaps not, however, here it is http://www.ashtangayogatherapy.com/ It belongs to Anthony Gary Lopedota, an experienced ashtanga practitioner. It's a nice read when you have some time.

Flo said...

Really enjoyed these. Thanks for sharing!

roselil said...

I am so used to practicing in mysore rooms that i do not get your surprice. It is one of the strong beauties of ashtanga that you can enter a myore shala anywhere in the world and just start to practice surrounded by a bunch of complete strangers. Even if you do not have a common language with the people practicing around you, it still feels so familiar and 'just like home'.

Grimmly said...

Yes Anon, I know Gary's site although it looks like its had a make over.

Your welcome Flo, hope to add some more as I find them.


Its not surprise at how its practiced Roselil, these are how I remember my couple of visits to AYL, my surprise sometimes is at how Ashtanga is viewed, represented, from outside the practice. I'm using Mysore videos because home practice videos are never as natural because your always consciously recording yourself.

Can see how it must be nice to be able to walk into a Shala all over the world.....of course all I need a little corner of a cheap hotel room and I'm happy

irina.ganzha © 2011 said...

true, when I tried to make a photo of my 'crane', I fell really hard on the head (the first time ever)... even wrote about this on my blog, that camera and yoga don't fit well together.

What was surprising to me is that at Bali they are so jammed together. It wouldn't be comfortable for me for example. I prefer to do it alone at home.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.