Monday, 3 September 2012

How to start Ashtanga ( home ) practice - a selection from the blogosphere

A wonderful post from Maya this week on how she started a home Ashtanga practice, which I notice this morning has inspired something similar from New York Yogini. I thought it would be nice to add them here with links to their posts along with my own.

If you have a similar blog post or would like to pass on your own experience then add a link in the comments section. I know I've read several of these in the past so look back through your archives and send me the link.

Also, if for one reason or another you shifted from a shala practice to home practice and have written about that pass that along too perhaps..

'Danny (Paradise) said the mark of a good teacher is when his/her studio is empty, because all of the students have transitioned to their own home practice.  yay home practice!!!'

Above quote from an upcoming post on the Ashtanga Mela at Kripalu (propbably posting it tomorrow)
mayaland

how to start an ashtanga yoga home practice, and how to fail at it (several times)







12 comments:

StEvE said...

I started out of fascination, and I still practice for that reason. I've lost track of the surprises along the way.

Your point on transition from a shala to a home practice is interesting, and I feel like I'm summarising that in my own mind. I did workshops, retreats and then finally settled into a daily shala practice for errrm about 9 years. Then, leaving for another country landed me in a province with no shala. Simply put, after 4 years of practicing at home since the move, it's internalised the practice, an awful lot. I miss my teacher, but the new dimensions to the practice balance that off nicely.

After having processed that experience, I've concluded to myself that what is best for me, is to see the best teacher I can find at least one month a year, more if possible, and never miss a practice. I like working to those rules, and they feel like they're working for me.

Are you going to write up your Richard intensive Tony? Hope so.

Grimmly said...

Thanks for this Steve, getting the ball rolling and all that. I've come across a few who mention that seeing a teacher once a month or two complements their home practice, it's one of the bonuses of Ashtanga of course, that you can do that, put your modifications to one side and go to Mysore, a workshop, shala or led and run through by the numbers every now and again to ground the practice. I do something similar with DVD's, practice along with one for a week or two, perhaps a couple of days of Sharath's dvd, CD or the Jois yoga feed. I think it's important, personally, to adapt, modify and explore but important not to lose sight of the overall framework.

Yep, will work writing up something on Richard's intensive tomorrow. Last day today, inversions and pranayama. I've enjoyed it but I'm almost looking forward to it being over and having the chance to try and work it in to a regular practice.

Anonymous said...

Grim, thee are manju and Danny paradise workshops comi g up in uk. Check the latest ashtanga.com workshop list.

maya9 said...

GRIMMLY, you reposted my post, how cool is this? A nice bunch of folk have come over and commented, I love that. Thanks so much, I'm honored!

suzanne said...

wow! thanks for reposting my post..lots of new visitors to the site. very cool.

Grimmly said...

Thanks Anon, won't be able to make them this time around, in my business I can't take any time off in Sept-Oct (work Saturdays) Not even able to take Ramaswami's workshops when he comes to the UK in october. Besides Richard has given me enough to think about for a year or two ( or three....). Thanks for the heads up though.

Your welcome Maya, Suzanne, great posts, glad you don't mind me sharing them.

omiya said...

great Danny quote :)

can't wait to read about your Freeman workshop, and I can't wait to study with the man

i agree with the first poster, a home practice plus some time each year with a special teacher is inspiring and grounding all at the same time. i am ready to practice at home in a whole new way...

Anonymous said...

Hi Grimmly, this is kind off a noob question. I just started practising the Suryanamaskar A and i have a doubt regarding the transition from down dog to uttanasan. From what i understand u r supposed to jump - inhale from down dog to uttanasan but i cant seem to be able to do that in a smooth manner, instead i hold the exhale in down dog, jump forward and while straighening my legs i inhale and then exhale to uttanasan. can i continue doing so...?? Having a tough time figuring out at which point should the inhale should start. Thanx for help...!!

Grimmly said...

Hi Omiya, problematic for Ashtanga teachers though, economically, encouraging your 'clients' to stay at home. I should do a post on this, at what point to start encouraging your students to practice at home, how to go about teaching approaches to home practice, how often to actually come to the shala.

Grimmly said...

Hi Anon, that sounds fine. finish your last exhalation in down dog bending the knees slightly right at the end in prep for moving forward. then hold the breath at the end of the exhale and step or jump forward. Inhale while tidying yourself up and getting into position but by the end of the end of the inhale you should be lifting your head up ready to fold in again on the exhale into uttanasana and then come back up to standing on the inhale.

Later you might feel more comfortable stepping forwards or jumping while inhaling, stepping forward rather than jumping might help in getting the breathing right. Another option is to begin to inhale, hold the breath for just a moment while you step or jump forward and then complete the inhalation as you straighten yourself up.

hope that helps, it'll come and eventually feel the most natural thing in the world, you'll end up doing thousands of these if you stick with it.

yara said...

I've been wanting to start practicing Ashtanga yoga since 2005, but unfortunately, as a student, I couldn't afford any classes.

Did some hatha yoga, when I was 16, then when i was 20,i liked it, but i can't say i loved it.

In 2010, while studying in London, I finally managed to afford 1 class a week, and do some home practicing. I found the DVD of David Swenson very useful.

In 2011, back to Portugal, I attended classes in a shala for 3 months. It was a great investment, I had developed a few bad habits i had to break, I advanced a bit and learned new things. Although I felt i needed some space... I don't really like to be adjusted too much, specially in the beginning of the standing poses.

I was also too drained, as the vinyasas are a bit too much for me at this specific time of my life. I noticed I started an internal fight, wanting to keep the practice strict and pure, going against my own health.

I decided then, to keep a daily home practice and see what would come out of it. Took some amazing workshops and retreats with the old school teacher Tomas Zorzo and my practice changed dramatically, as I believe old school teachers have a more holistic and flexible approach of yoga.

I'm very happy with my home practice, i found it beneficial when practiced slowly and without adjustments.

I also temporarily cut off a few vinyasas (keeping the ones between groups of asanas and holding them longer) and I start to feel a slight improvement on my energy and health.

The days when I thought i had to quit are over, and Ashtanga yoga is a total part of my daily life.

I'm not planing to join a shala anytime soon, but I'll keep on taking workshops here and there with good teachers :)

Anonymous said...

Thanx so much for replying.. i will keep those points in mind while moving thru the suryanamaskars.

Found this rare ashtanga video on youtube,its worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zr03aRMuw8&feature=plcp

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.