Tuesday, 15 July 2008

Lifting up

Got a great response to my post on yoga.com forum, about this blog, from Andrew Hubbard. I believe he's a teacher in NY. here's the link to the post.
http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27377&posts=3

this is what he has to say about the initial lift off, the area I'm finding the most difficult.

"It took me about six months to do it, or so I remember. Here are some suggestions. You probably already have most of this, but it may help. First of all, in your video I see you lifting up prior to the jump back, but your feet are on the ground. The first thing you need to achieve is to lift your entire body from the floor with your feet off the ground. You should flex your feet very tightly while crossing them (right over left is usually easier, but I alternate), lift them well off the floor and bring your knees up to your chest in preparation for lift off. Your hands must be right next to your hips; (you mention this too on your blog, but in the video your hands are well in front of your hips, because your feet are on the ground). Then do something that might sound sacrilegious, but it works: hunch your shoulders, (this will prepare you to push down). To lift up, push down as hard as you can with your arms while simultaneously applying all your bandas and crunching your abs. Off course, keep your fingers splayed; this will provide a nice wide, firm base of support for the whole procedure (and you will get an extra push from your fingers).Personally, I wouldn’t bother with the feet on the floor lift. If is bad form because it pulls you forward. As you say on your blog, you want to be perpendicular to the floor. Indeed, your body needs to go straight up. If you are leaning forward you arch your back and create unwanted tension. Just practice lifting up as I describe above, even if you can’t get off the floor at all at first. Over time you will strengthen your core and soon enough you’ll pop right up."

Was trying Andrew's approach last night and again this morning in my practice. I seem to be getting more lift but still my feet seem to drop forward. I think the idea i have in my head of the Jump back is Lino Miele's. The way he lifts up effortlessly and seems to be able to hang in the air as long as he wants and draw through so slowly and with such control.
It's unrealistic and the reason I started this blog in the first place. These top Ashtanga people are way out there and when we watch their videos it's like, No way. I want to see videos of people who only just got it or are still close enough to that moment to be able to describe what made the difference, as well as teachers who are teaching this everyday and seeing what makes the difference with their students. And this is a blog rather than a webpage because I want the moment and the period leading up to it to be documented as a resource for anyone else struggling and having days when they think they'll never get it.

That said I watched Doug Swensons primary series dvd again last night and he doesn't lift up as long as Lino it's more of a flowing movement of lifting up and slightly forward and swinging under. Seems much more achievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.