I received a comment on the video I posted on Youtube yesterday. The advice was to keep my hips lower on my jump through. There was a video attached, but it turned out to be for a straight leg jump through, while I tend to do a bent leg jump through via Lolasana. I'm pretty sure keeping your hips high or low depends on the style of jump. I want to come back to this post later and add some quotes from the lit.
Was wondering which style people prefer and why (comments encouraged ) Must be some little voting application I can add where you can vote for your preference.
I was gently admonished in one of the forums last week by a teacher from another yoga style who doesn't agree with teaching jump backs and jump throughs to beginners because he feels it's dangerous.
I think the straight leg jump through is a little dangerous, I've caught my little toe before and was lucky not to break it (dammed sticky mats) and have heard some horror stories. If your going to do it that way I definitely recommend using yoga bricks at first. However, I think jumping through via lolasana is pretty safe and can't see any danger of injury with the jump back.
Here's a very quickly thrown together video of the two styles...please ignor the awful form and camera angle, will try to make a better one in a day or two.
NOTE: Blog address now begins grimmly1997. I've unpublished 80% of posts but retained, on request, the Krishnamacharya 'Research' posts. Comments are turned off, there are no blog "members". NOTE 2: If you have landed on the mobile page, you need to scroll down and click on web version to get all the stand alone pages on Krishnamacharya, Asana lists, Yogasanagalu, Proficient Primary etc.
Pages
- Home
- Yama and Niyama: Krishnamacharya, Jois, Ramaswami
- Asana Lists Inc. Original 1974 Ashtanga Syllabus
- Krishnamacharya resource page
- Slow Ashtanga PLUS Yoga Makaranda Part I and II
- Yoga Reading List
- How to practice Krishnamacharya's Early Ashtanga Yoga
- Krishnamacharya's Yogasanagalu (1941) (translation project)
- The Ashtanga Key - Surya Namaskara
- Srivatsa Ramaswami Vinyasa Krama Resource page
- How to meditate
- VINYASA KRAMA sequences/subroutines
- Free Downloads (Updated with more links)
- Proficient Primary.
- Chanting Yoga Sutras
- YOGA GLOSSARY
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.