Sunday, 16 August 2026

One way of working towards Kino's Jump Through

This is pretty much how I learnt to do it. I picked up the handstand and the float up to standing pretty quickly from the Sadie Youtube video. I used that in my Sury's A & B in frount of a wall for a few months, fun going up to handstand. Only after seeing Kino's DVD this week have I started putting the jump through and the half handstand together. So you might want to spend some time just playing with the handstands and getting comfortable with that. Anyway hope this helps.

Step 1. Pick a wall

Step 2. Bunny hops (Shakti jumps?), Small ones at first, building up to half handstand using the wall to stop you going too far. See the Sadie's 30 Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pFU8YsTso

Step 3. Jump up to half handstand from Downward Dog and hold.

Step 4. Place large cushion between arms. Repeat step 3 and come down crossed leg on to cushion. (the cushion is basically just to remove the fear factor i was paranoid at first abouyt coming down but only ended up using the cushion about twice).

Step 5. Work on slowing your descent by shifting your body weight a little forward as you come down and curling your hips round and in like a ball.

Step 6. Repeat Step 4 coming down onto a smaller cushion

Step 7. Repeat step 3 then come down softly as before but without the cushion.

Step 8. Repeat step 3 and as you come down lead your frount foot through your arms bringing the other leg through behind Kino style ( see the screen shot slideshow on the side of my blog).

Step 9 Repeat step 7 and then 8 in in the middle of your room away from the wall

Step 10. Repeat step 9 in your practice, fitting it in a couple of times here and there and then building up to all the way through.

Still working on steps and 8 and 9, tricky leading that frount leg through and it's hard to hit the point of balance without the wall as security (notice the unsightly arch in my back). Wednesday I was doing it every time but yesterday I managed to get it right five out of, what, twenty jump throughs in primary.

Here's a video of the above


PS A big big Thank you to Kino for her inspiration and kindness.

2 comments:

Bettina said...

This tutorial is very good. Although I know the facts from many, many demonstrations it's always useful to see it broken down in little steps. I will try it for sure. As far as I know myself it will probably take years until I accomplish step 3. I'll let you know ...

Grimmly said...

Hi Bettina, your right nothing really new but it's what worked for me. You might surprise yourself with step 3, Don't think it's about strength as just
shifting your body weight in the right way, more of a nack to it I think. I think it's basically aiming at getting your hips above the shoulders and your shoulders above your wrists. I think i'm going to try and do some posts just on handstands I built up some links and videos a while back. Find this stuff is great when your having one of those mornings where your finding it hard to get on the mat. Pulling a couple of handstands or float ups in your first couple of Sury A's really gets you motivated, warmed up too.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.