Sunday, 16 August 2026

Solved Jump Back problem

So I think I've solved my Jump Back problem mentioned in earlier posts where I'd started touching my toe down half way through. Couple of things came together during this mornings practice. Mixture of the stretchy arms, sitting up straighter and hands a bit closer to my hips. I should do a video to go with this but have just stuffed a toasted fish finger salad sandwich with ketchup and can hardly move. Will add it later... have been feeling the pressure to have a November progress video and the months getting away from me.

Basically I'm trying to sit up higher and straighter on my sit bones

Do the stretchy arm thing to make my arms really long (see earlier post)

Drop my shoulder blades down my back

Press my hands just in front of my buttocks (Tended to have them a little further forward before and think this is why I was going over/ forward too soon)

Press down and lift up, a bit straighter up than before

Try to begin my pivot forward a little higher up than I had been (I'd been pivoting forward and bending my arms at the same time up till now)

Being higher up when you swing forward your hips come up more, much smoother jump back and no touching of the toes.

OK, tried to catch it on video after all, feel sick now.



Notice my Jump Through is still weak since I hurt my toe. Coming down too soon, used to be able to do it, so know that I've just slipped back into bad habits. How much of Ashtanga is about breaking bad habits or learning new habits

1 comment:

Craig said...

I moved my hands further forward, but yours are almost below your toes. I'm going to try this for tomorrow's practice and see how it goes. Cheers

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.