Sunday, 16 August 2026

Wrist protection gloves for handstand practice etc

I keep coming across WAGS http://wristprotectiongloves.com/ and thought they might be a good idea for all the extra handstand work I do. These days I tend to do a regular primary in the morning and then in the evening I run through the Sury's, half of standing, Intermediate up to Kapo or the Eka pada's and more backbend work (though I've put the backbend work on hold for a week or so). During my evening Sury's I tend to throw in loads of handstands.
So I was tempted but not $60.00's + postage tempted, especially with the state of the pound to the dollar at the moment.

However, given the basic idea is to raise and cushion the palm I had a look on ebay and found loads of similar gloves, especially for cycling and/or weight lifting. They tended cost around £5.00 a pair including postage (what $10.00 give or take). Avoid the leather ones and look out for the ones padded at just the palm with a similar Gel to the WAGS. I screwed up and bought ones that had extra padding at the top of the palm. Small snip with the scissors though and the gel pulls right out. Not all the ones on ebay had this extra padding. Mine are made of Neoprene and Amara.

Here's a video of me giving them a go Some handstands, jump backs, float ups and press to handstand.
This was the first time i put them on and they felt a little strange at first at one point I almost topple forward, that's because the cushioning on the palm lifts and tilts you forward a little. Once I got used to them everything felt a little easier and certainly less strain.

That said I wouldn't want to use them in my regular practice, just doesn't feel.......yoga. But if your doing some extra practice they're ideal. Imagine they would be great for those who are doing third series and working on tick tocks (or is it tacks).

Knowing now that the basic idea seems to work, if I found WAGS in the UK then I would probably splash out and get a pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.