Some confusion about the Eka pada C transition from this post http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/2008/12/begining-intermediate-transitions.html
Somebody let me know that I was doing it wrong and that I should be bringing my leg straight up towards my face, holding it for a breath and only then jumping back. Checked My Swenson video and it seems I was doing it the same way he does. checked his book and same again. he even says this in his comments.
"If you are lifting the extended leg away from the floor, keep it parallel to the earth, not pointed up. pointing up is an asana from Advanced A".
But then I looked in Matthew Sweeney's book and he does it the other way pointing the leg up.
Sweeney's way seems to be how it's done now and how my friend is being taught it at the Shala. Either way it's still my favourite transition from Intermediate, I think I like the pointing up method a little more, get to savour it longer.
Here's my attempt, not quite right, just noticed I didn't hold my leg parallel for five breaths (which was, of course, the whole point) as I was focused on the transition but I like it all the same. Lifting up with the leg still behind my head though feels a long way off, but then I thought that about bending forward while keeping the leg behind and yet it seemed to stay put yesterday. "practice and all is coming" love how that actually does what it says on the tin.
NOTE: Blog address now begins grimmly1997. I've unpublished 80% of posts but retained, on request, the Krishnamacharya 'Research' posts. Comments are turned off, there are no blog "members". NOTE 2: If you have landed on the mobile page, you need to scroll down and click on web version to get all the stand alone pages on Krishnamacharya, Asana lists, Yogasanagalu, Proficient Primary etc.
Pages
- Home
- Yama and Niyama: Krishnamacharya, Jois, Ramaswami
- Asana Lists Inc. Original 1974 Ashtanga Syllabus
- Krishnamacharya resource page
- Slow Ashtanga PLUS Yoga Makaranda Part I and II
- Yoga Reading List
- How to practice Krishnamacharya's Early Ashtanga Yoga
- Krishnamacharya's Yogasanagalu (1941) (translation project)
- The Ashtanga Key - Surya Namaskara
- Srivatsa Ramaswami Vinyasa Krama Resource page
- How to meditate
- VINYASA KRAMA sequences/subroutines
- Free Downloads (Updated with more links)
- Proficient Primary.
- Chanting Yoga Sutras
- YOGA GLOSSARY
4 comments:
Me again.
Read your post and had to comment. First, I think it's just called eka pada sirsasana. There is no abc here. And you are doing the pose right. The exit is not held for five breaths or even one. When you come back up from catching the foot, hold with hands in namaste position for a breath, then hands down, try to get the leg high, inhale lift up and swing back to chaturanga. I hope this makes sense. This is how I have been taught, and I'm pretty sure it is the way its being taught in mysore. You still need to work on getting the foot further down your back. Don't worry, it takes time.
By the way, your blog hAS great info. I have been experimenting with the press up into handstand.
And you're right about the backbends. Another tip to coming up is getting your backbend as deep as you possibly can, and focus on shifting the weight from the arms into the legs. This took me a long time to get, but I realize now and keep finding its all in the legs. Also do not forget the breath. You exhale on the way down, and inhale on the way up. Very important!
Keep posting!
Thanks Sophia. Going on from your comments on the breath in backbends, what are your thoughts on the press to handstand. An exhale fits with Sury AB and yet when we lift up in the Jump back it's an inhale lifting up then exhale kicking back.
Always inhale up.
David Swenson is always very clear that he teaches the sequence as he was originally taught, and that's not necessarily the way it is being taught now. For example, in his book Pasasana is done on the right side (looking over the right shoulder) first, while these days it's the left side that is done first.
So I would imagine this is some more of the same situation.
At my shala, we lift the straight leg up towards the chin on the inhale, and jump back on the exhale. I don't know if this is how it is being taught in Mysore right now but I'd take a guess it is.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.