Sunday, 16 August 2026

Towards coming up from Urdhva Dhanurasana

So I've been working on the rocking from toes to fingertips thing but hadn't really thought about it until I noticed this on a YouTube Video (can't find which one it was - Ahhh, found it about 0:40 sec into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8wXJPUY2L0). Saw somebody come up using the rocking motion. First they rock back on the heel and then forward back onto the ball of the foot generating some momentum to help them lift up. That rocking movement, heel to toe, though subtle can instigate a lot of momentum and energy (boxers and martial artists use something similar beginning a punch by planting the ball of the foot, the energy builds as it travels up through the leg, hip, up the back to the shoulder and down the arm).

In the video keep an eye on the feet, it's a pretty subtle movement at least how i'm doing it at the moment.

I'd always lost my sense of direction when upside down. I know I know I'm supposed to go forward and up...but which way is forward again...? This rocking motion from the heel seems to help, you get the forward motion as you rock onto your toes and a lifting motion from your heels grounding your sense of direction.

OK I'm not up yet but I think this might be one of those elements that may help. I'm already beginning to walk my hands closer (though not in the above video) and can feel my weight beginning to shift from my shoulders down towards my hips. Plus this morning trying to come up from Kapotasana I felt I made some progress. I still wasn't able to come up but for a moment I was able to hold myself using my thighs, hips and back. It was just a moment and then I had to lower to the floor but I felt I'd "found the spot". Want to try to carry that over to Coming up from UD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grimmly - have you tried coming up on your fingertips before rocking forward? That should do the trick.

Also think of rocking up using the inner edges of your feet as a pivot point. The goal is to come up with feet perfectly flat and parallel, but in the beginning...

You have a fantastic backbend and I have to admit that all this suspense is killing me.

:)

Grimmly said...

Thank you Anon. "inner edges of feet" Hmmmm, am just about to start my evening practice so will give it a try and post a vid. later, want to try and pull all these elemnts together. It's got to come sooner or later, why not tonight?

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.