Sunday, 16 August 2026

Coming up from Urdva Danurasana (first attempts)

Ok not a Jump Back but it's still a transition right?

Don't think I've ever really tried coming up from Urdva Danurasana before this week. Tried dropping back a few times a month or two ago. http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/2008/10/backbends.html I don't think just dropping back is actually that hard, it's more about overcoming fear plus a timing thing. But it's not just about being able to drop back onto your hands is it. It's a backbend and the idea is to develop your backbend such that you can go deeper and deeper into the pose taking your hands over and hang in the air like that for a bit before, finally, dropping down the last couple of inches onto your hands with good control..
That was why I stopped doing them and instead worked on deepening my Urdva Danurasana and one of the reasons I started into the first few Intermediate backbend asana. Seemed logical and to make good sense to do all the back bend prep I could before giving it another go.

So revisited dropbacks this week and had my first go at coming up. Dropping back, no problem, could tell my backbend had improved and was able to hang in the air a little longer while deeper in the pose.
And here's one of my first attempts at coming up from Urdva Danurasana. To be honest I really don't see the big deal, seems more a question of technique. A little shift of the weight further over the hips, time it right, conquer some fear and up you come. Why does overcoming some fear and timing mean you ready to move on to the next stage. We're not talking Tomb Raider here surely.

I can see the argument at least with dropping back. Personally though, I think that Salabhasana to Laghu Vajrasana is good prep for dropback and if we want to be proscriptive, I'd say you shouldn't work on dropping back until after you've worked on them, much less stress on the back surely, but what do I know.

Coming up though! I don't see it.

That said I do love that whole flip flop sequence of backbends, coming up, dropping back, coming up to handstand dropping back and flipping back over into handstand the other way. Very cool, very intense and I imagine really focuses the mind. Besides I love all the jumps and handstands and the feeling that your some kind of Alexander Calder mobile, hanging in the air, defying gravity.

Actually this post is just an excuse to try out the new camera and how I can get a whole standing shot in it's 25mm lens without chopping off legs, arms or my head. (Panasonic DMCfx500).

Oh and I think my feet are supposed to be straighter, bad form to have them turning out like that. And that twist at the end away from the wall is a bad idea.

1 comment:

Kali Om said...

You almost have it.

This may help:

1. Think "Come forward" rather than "Come up"

2. Push down hard on the feet as you try to come up..., er, forward.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.