Sunday, 16 August 2026

Jump Back: pushing up rather than lifting up.

Something happened to my Jump Back this week, think I noticed it Tuesday. I found I was getting up higher and that it was feeling easier. I started trying to focus on it, in a nice matter of fact Vipassana kind of a way, and realized I was Pushing up rather than Lifting up. "That's interesting" thinks the Vipassana practitioner in me. "Yipi ai A" shouts the Bruce Willis in me a little more exuberantly. Actually I got mistaken for Bruce Willis once in Osaka Castle, when I was living in Japan. Little old lady came up to me and asked me for an autograph. Of course I signed it, don't see the resemblance myself.
Anyway pushing up. Had read about this here and there. Different teachers saying you should push up into your lift off but I've always lifted up. When you think about it it makes much more sense. We do push ups not lift ups and when we first start getting into jump backs it's almost like were trying to drag ourselves up.
Now it could be that my core has become stronger or that I've become stronger all round or that my control and technique has improved such that I'm able to Push up where i couldn't before. However, I suspect it was mostly just a mental block re enforced by the constant reference to "lifting" up. It might also be something to do with following along with Kino's DVD (really loving this DVD by the way getting a hell of a lot out of. She chats away throughout and you start picking up on different things she says in different practices, highly recommended). I picked up on her saying something like"Bring the shoulders further apart and draw your shoulder blades down your back". She mentioned this just before going into the lift off.

Here's a video from the front to try and show this pushing up aspect.

On youtube for itouch readers http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-SGosMDzfAQ

I think I'm doing the Kino shoulder thing but also leaning further forward , ahhhh is that it, my shoulders more over my wrists, does this allow me to push up more? ....Just broke off from my scrambled eggs to give that a try....No I think I've been getting further over for awhile. Just seems to be that, out of the blue, I've started pushing rather than lifting. Going to hit the blogs now and see if anyone else has mentioned this in the past.

2 comments:

Ursula said...

Great. Very motivating.

Anonymous said...

Whatever it is, you're doing it. Well done!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.