Sunday, 16 August 2026

Kino style Jump Through and how to make a home made nonslip yoga towel

OK, enough winging, back on topic!

I've been watching Kino MacGregor's DVDs lately (Review of her primary Series DVD to come). Been interested in her Jump Through, especially since mine is now much weaker than my Jump Back. You can now see a new screenshot slide show of her jump back and jump through in the comparison panel on the side of my blog, compared with Doug Swenson, John Scott, Lino Miele and Sharath. She jumps really high into a half handstand point of balance and then brings herself down and through. What interests me is how she leads her leg through. I've been trying this and find it much easier for clearing the mat and it seems a great way to start to move into jumping into an asana. In the video below I'm trying to lead my right leg through as she does, it's not as pronounced as hers, looking at it, but felt it at the time. I then try jumping through into Tiriangmukhaikapada Paschimattanasna (one leg fold back).

Whether this works for you will depend how you are on the jumping into handstand. If you haven't done much of it I can assure you it's not as hard as it looks and there's some help on hand. Sadie has a handy Youtube tutorial called sadies 30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pFU8YsTso that's great for building strength. Do it against a wall to build confidence. If you can nail it then your closer to those floaty jump ups to standing in the Sury's and jumping into Bakasana etc. I like it because it seems to give me more time for bringing my leg through, it looks cool, feels light and floaty and brings a nice pace to the practice. Mine is still untidy but think it's worth working on and probably going to become my Jump Through of choice. Cheers Kino!

PS. Notice too this is done on a yoga towel on top of my Manduka. It's a home made towel. Pick up a cheap microfiber towel from eBay. An XXL one. Cut it down the middle, fold the cut edge slightly over and use a straight forward blanket stitch and there you have it. Two non slip yoga towels that work for half the price of a branded one. great absorbency and they dry really quickly.

3 comments:

Arturo said...

you're very dedicated. i have the strength to lift that way up, which Kino does. i tend to, however, have a bit of uneasiness or disorientation happen if i go that high. i think that with dedicated practice such as yours you build the strength to do it and not feel disorientation.
cheers,
arturo

Anonymous said...

That is very impressive. I've been watching Kino's jump through also and attempted her half handstand but I either go too far over until I land in a backbend or not far enough. I can jump through with straight legs but that's more using momentum than strength.

I really enjoy watching your blog. I'm learning a lot from you.

Grimmly said...

Many thanks for your comments. I think doing it against the wall helps build the confidence.I used to have a mat against the wall for the Sury's (when i would fit in the handstands and float ups) and then another mat in the middle of the room for the rest of the series. Can do the half handstand in the middle of the room now but dont have the nerve to do a full one. Tried learning to fall over into backbend but made a mess of it, Still can't do that straight leg jump through. Arturo, dont think it's so much strength as just getting the point of balance right, hips above shoulders above wrists...though i do think the coming down slowly takes core strength but then perhaps thats just shifting balance too and i'm not doing it right.thanks again

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.