My Jump Through needs work. Jump back is moving along nicely and becoming consistent. Manged to pull off a whole primary series worth this morning. But my Jump Through is weak.
Yes ,I have that nice Kino float up to half handstand, which feels light and floaty, but more often than not I'm coming down and brushing my feet along the mat or even landing short. I can manage to nail it occasionally but not consistently and not on demand. So January will be Jump Through month and possibly Feburary too. I'll see if I can find out what it is I'm doing wrong and try to correct it.
Turns out that strong Jump Throughs are almost more important in Intermediate than the Jump Backs which are less strenuous than in Primary. Particularly the jumping into poses which takes a great deal of control. And then there's the jumping through leading with the left leg as well as the right something I didn't really practice in Primary. Again, curiously, it's not a problem jumping back with either leg though feels a little strange.
Plan is to do three primary three intermediate and focus on jumping through and switching legs.
NOTE: Blog address now begins grimmly1997. I've unpublished 80% of posts but retained, on request, the Krishnamacharya 'Research' posts. Comments are turned off, there are no blog "members". NOTE 2: If you have landed on the mobile page, you need to scroll down and click on web version to get all the stand alone pages on Krishnamacharya, Asana lists, Yogasanagalu, Proficient Primary etc.
Pages
- Home
- Yama and Niyama: Krishnamacharya, Jois, Ramaswami
- Asana Lists Inc. Original 1974 Ashtanga Syllabus
- Krishnamacharya resource page
- Slow Ashtanga PLUS Yoga Makaranda Part I and II
- Yoga Reading List
- How to practice Krishnamacharya's Early Ashtanga Yoga
- Krishnamacharya's Yogasanagalu (1941) (translation project)
- The Ashtanga Key - Surya Namaskara
- Srivatsa Ramaswami Vinyasa Krama Resource page
- How to meditate
- VINYASA KRAMA sequences/subroutines
- Free Downloads (Updated with more links)
- Proficient Primary.
- Chanting Yoga Sutras
- YOGA GLOSSARY
3 comments:
When you're coming through, keep your legs tucked into your chest tighter. My knee is practically up in my chest when I am pulling through. I lean forward as if to dive head first, but the weight of my hips prevents this from happening. Took me a while to get the smooth clearance of feet though, used to snag my foot pretty badly on my rug. More uddiyana bandha in my opinion...not sure if that helps, especially without a visual aid.
Thanks Tiff. good reading your comment while watching my jump through, definately need to keep my knees up higher and i agree about Uddiyana, makes a huge difference (belly up Kino calls it). I can't picture this bit though, "I lean forward as if to dive head first" had fun trying out different possibilties this morning though. Cute toe socks by the way!
I would say, shoulders forward of the hands (as if one was jumping into Bakasana). My jump through doesn't half-handstand (and I'm impressed by that aspect of your jump-through), but I notice that as I come up, I lean well forward, arms as straight as I can get'em, shoulders well forward of hands, and then look up or forward, swing feet through, extend, and on a top-10 day, lower down UFO style to seated.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.